Existing Member?

Owen's Travels

Understanding a Culture through Food - The Wonders of Haribo

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 14 February 2013 | Views [297] | Scholarship Entry

Not too long ago I took a year out to travel the vast country of Australia. 19 years old and wired with opportunities I stepped on to the plane to embark on the single most incredible journey of my life to date.
Kindle and a limited selection of flump movies at the ready, I decided to wave the hostess for a drink. Several of my surrounding passengers scowled disapprovingly as I ordered a whiskey for my first trip alone. Already, the social side of my trip was looking shaky.
Or it would have been had it not been for the little packet my Mother had the ingenuity to pack for me.
Haribo. You wonderful little sweet.
The tagline “kids and grown-ups love them so” is key here so keep it in mind.
Somewhere far over the Sahara desert we were flying. Part way through my first stint of flight towards Dubai, the boredom had set in. Comfortably nestled between an extensive Chinese family to my left, and a various array of Brits to my right, I was looking for entertainment.
My stomach hadn’t quite decided if it had enjoyed the on flight meal and gave a lurching heave.
Reaching into my backpack, I fumbled out the glorious creation of God we have come to know so well. Immediately, the elderly woman to my rights eyes lit up. Fairly dormant for most of the journey, she promptly asked “Will you be opening them deary?” Yes you beautiful little woman. I will.
Offering them up, I smiled reassuringly at the lady named Margaret. She selected an egg and smiled back, mentioning her daughter always enjoyed the eggs. My heart glowed as she began to tell me her life story.
Slowly but surely, the extremely pretty girl several seats across had spotted out little mothers meeting. Catching her eye, I offered her the packet to her and, rather reluctantly, her boyfriend sat next to her.All along my right side, conversation had sparked where none had been before. Our row was like an oasis of conversation in a Sahara of frustrated parents trying to settle their children.
Now I won’t suggest they are magical but there is something about these sweets that is elemental. Universal. Something that defies language barriers. A tool used by a traveller to open doors.
Finally, the Chinese family to my left had noticed the joy spreading and felt they deserved to join. In halting English, the conversation spread down the aisle. Even the air hostess joined as she ‘just so happened to be checking up on us’.
Haribo. The trans-culture unifier.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About storyfile


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.