Existing Member?

daydream

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [95] | Scholarship Entry

My story is related to the year 2010 and New York, the city where I spent 5 months and the experience I had waited for over 10 years. I stopped thinking about anything else, the moment I stepped on Times Square and saw that I was in another dimension. Since I deal with photography, every possible detail would caught my eye, and that was the case whenever I would go to Manhattan, or any other part of town. Rush hour and unbelievable nonchalance at the same time, open-mindedness, frankness to its core, mixed flavors of various cuisines. The thing I was most grateful for was the opportunity and sufficient amount of time to capture with my camera racial and ethnical diversity of people who live together without problems. City bears in it that “something” that forces you to feel comfortable, as if you have lived there for years already. I had come from the city with 250,000 inhabitants, and was not even aware that I was fellow citizen with 12 million other people at that moment; somehow, it seemed completely normal and natural. The smell of underground railways, street noise, language of Hispanic community, absolutely everything. I had desire to get to know everyone, which of course was impossible, but I learnt a whole lot about American culture because I worked in a restaurant in Queens as a waiter. Through food and behavior in the restaurant, you can see almost all the signs of (lack of)culture of a society; Americans got the highest marks from me. It is quite difficult to describe the best experience of one’s life and a dream come true in the form of a text; even more difficult to evoke the atmosphere of a megapolis.
There is a myth that says that the Indians threw a curse on American soil and that anyone who has ever set foot on it will always have the inner urge to come back, and will, in a way, be haunted by it for as long as they live.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About storyboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.