Existing Member?

myfooteprints adventures on the road

winter quietus

SOUTH KOREA | Thursday, 11 December 2008 | Views [550]

with the coming winter, sokcho is settling into change once more.  as the countryside exhales it's last breath for year, so too the town shrinks.  a few of my close friends have moved on. one of the harder aspects of the teaching abroad lifestyle.  but a healthy reminder of the transitory and impermanent.

robert and lisa, an quirky american couple from the states and whom i've only known for the brief five weeks i've been here, left for home on sunday.  they're departure was premature and cloaked in sadness. and for more than the fact that i'd grown to appreciate their company and good humour.  robert's father, a fit, young 54 year old, had a massive stroke and the family was informed he wouldn't last long.  with that serious news, robert immediately made plans to finish his contract early and to head home to see his father off and help with the family's affairs.  lisa, his doting partner, followed.  their departure was quick, chaotic and painful and none of us were ready to see them go.

yesterday i saw off another close friend, jason, the californian, canadian spaniard.  though his leaving was known (and certainly anticipated by him) it was a sad departure nonetheless.  i had come to spend most of my time hanging with jason and i valued his humour and cerebral machinations.  a clever, random and often debased sense of humour is something that isn't lost on me.  i'm happy for him to be moving on, since i know he really didn't enjoy the teaching side of being here.  but i can allow myself to be selfish enough to miss his presence. 

with jason's departure i'm finding myself in the spirit of change as well.  i've started shifting my home from this apartment to the apartment jason had stayed.  although the apartment layouts are almost identical, though mirrored, i'm looking forward to living on the 2nd floor rather than the first and in an apartment that gets the first of the morning light through it's windows.  my present apartment is dull and grey until late afternoon.

and with that thought, i get back at it.  

About stonesamurai


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.