Existing Member?

Harrys Big Fat Adventure

Te Anau + The Weekend

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 17 December 2007 | Views [452] | Comments [2]

The Weekend.

Saturday had to get up early, like half7, but it was for a good cause. I was going canyoning baby!! Was brilliant.

Got picked up in a little people carrier/van/thing, there's hundreds of the things about. The day was looking gooooooood, sunny, and hot already. Got down to where we  were staring off (we = Holly, Lizzie and moi) and had a hell of an experience putting wet wetsuits on. That doesn't really read right, but I know what I mean. . .! After a quick 'Safety Briefing' which onvolved throwing people in the water and taking pictures, we were off. I got picked first for everything because I was being lairy, but I didn't mind, it was all a reet laugh.

At one point, about midway through, there was a 4-5m jump into a pool, which nearly everyone did, again me first. Then we all had the option to do a 10-12m jump. I was the only one mad enough to do it. Was mental, had to attach my harness to the ropes and climb, and I mean proper climb, to the the 'platfrom'. Which was moving mud and a big rock. Was told where to aim for and that there was no room for error. Then counted in and went for it. Was brilliant!! Got a video of it and some other pictures on a disc, but I don't want everything on here. Wont have anything to show you when I get back otherwise . . .

Today 17/12/07

Ok, so, Te Anau. Yer, well, it aint all that. The lake, which is the largest in the South Island and the second largest in the whole of New Zealand, is amazing. Especially with the mountains surronding it, it's just picture perfect. Almost fairytale. Just the town itself lets it down a bit. Not alot happening, the place I'm staying in is WEIRD . . . HOLIDAY PARK!! I'm the only person in a whole hallway of about 20 rooms. All the lights are off down there, it's creepy! Oh well only one night. . .

Just got the last little things for the 'tramping' I'm about to do, suncream, bread and batteries. Good night in, eh?! My pack probably weighs between 11-13kg, most of that is food though, so when I get to Milford it will be more like 6kg!!

Forgot my memory card, otherwise I would have put some more pictures up.


This will be the last little entry for about 4-5days now, but rest assured I will be back boring your eyes with this stuff soon :-)

This is the THIRD time I've written this, needless to say, the first was the best! So I hope this one loads properly. . .

Harry.

Tags: The Whole Adventure

 

Comments

1

You've picked the greatest country to visit Harry, and I see you have already started collecting the emails to keep in contact with. Meant to contact you before you left, but problems arose.
Looking forward to following your adventures, so work hard have fun, and most of all enjoy the company and the new friends you meet.
I see you're cramming in as much as you can before you start work.
New Zealand's great the people are great and I'm sure you'll have a great time whilst there.
I shall keep an eye on what you are upto
We wish you a very Merry Christmas (which I'm sure it will be)and a great 2008 year to follow. I am 'so pleased' to see you are enjoying youself Harry.
Goodluck Dave (Stokes)

  Dave Stokes Dec 19, 2007 5:14 AM

2

looking forward to seeing your photos, we are so jealous!
great message from david.......his daughter carol is very ill...thats why he didnt get in touch before you left.
take it easy
love m and j

  mama and jster Dec 22, 2007 12:48 AM

About stokeze


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.