Existing Member?

Travel Tips for Smart People

Mini-Guide to Ein Gedi Territory

ISRAEL | Monday, 11 May 2015 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever been to Israel? You may not have visited one of the most diverse and colorful countries of the Middle East, but you have definitely heard of the Dead Sea - most salty pond and the Earth's lowest peak on land.

Dead Sea is as diverse as Israel. Located in the heart of desert and looking like a big salty lake rather than full-value sea, it gives uncommon impression to the first-time tourist. From the desolated pebble shores and wild land around, to the prosperous Ein Gedi territory, which I'd like to say a few words of.

Ein Gedi is a part of Dead Sea seashore, represented, among others, by a magnificent national park and sea resort. As Dead Sea isn't the usual sea, with extremely salty water and located in the wild, you'd prefer to pay a few bucks and stay at the resort with full facilities and service, instead of seeking the wild beach with no human in a mile.

As for the national park, it's unbelievable that such an aloof site could be taken such a good care of. Well-arranged footpaths, varied terrain, and natural ponds with waterfalls as a crown of the entire place, with bathing people, excited of the freshwater reservoirs in the middle of desert. The ticket cost 29 NIS (7 dollars), but you can walk around most of the day.

Then, a sea resort. For 47 NIS (12 dollars), you get a towel and a chaise lounge, as well as the access to freshwater showers and other facilities, such as bar and Dead Sea cosmetics spot. By the way, prices for the cosmetics are quite fair, compared to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem stores.

Staying in Ein Gedi won't take more than a day, in case you don't want to stay longer to enjoy all the charms of this oasis on the eastern border of the Judean Desert, by spreading a tent or booking a room nearby.

With regard to transport, which will take you back and forth from the main Israel cities, it's best to rent a car, in case of solid travel budget; otherwise, use the bus, which runs regularly, but study the timetable for the way back thoroughly. Don't repeat my mistakes, as for some reason no one hangs out the timetable of bus routes at the abandoned bus stop beside, and you may need to spend a long time there waiting for a ride, using the least reasonable methods to stop cars.

Having visited Ein Gedi, and after even one day at the Dead Sea, you'll feel yourself refreshed, and the one who has just visited the edge of the globe. And the souvenir cosmetics in your bag will remind you of the trip to the lowest point on Earth.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About stockrome


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.