Existing Member?

sunshine

coastal meanderings

VIETNAM | Monday, 15 January 2007 | Views [716] | Comments [1]

last we wrote we had just arrived in the beach town of Nha Trang, warming our bones from the cool mountain air.  we managed to even out our tans with a day on the beach, renting another motorcycle to find our secluded piece of sun at Doc Let's white sand beach.  the next day we embarked on our first vietnamese scuba dive despite warnings of only 3-4 meter visibility...  stin opted for a refresher course on his first dive, since he has not been diving since he was certified in high school.  kendra had a little trouble equalizing with the nose ring obstacle, but she got the hang of it.  the visibility was in fact 3-4 meters and littered with a fair amount of rubbish, and it was a challenge to keep track of the dive master, but we had a blast anyway!  we are stoked to get to thailand where we hope the water might be a little clearer... 

we just spent the last few days in the picturesque, world-heritage site-designated town of Hoi An.  this town is famous for its hundreds of tailors, who can whip up anything from suits to gowns in 24 hours.  stin had a cashmere suit made for $50, and kendra had some pants and shoes made.  it was an exhausting experience, so many more decisions to be made than just going to the store, and neither of us are much of shoppers.  but in reality it was a nice chance to really sit down and talk to people, rather than just get haggled to buy something or join a tour.  our tailors were hilarious and kind, and we enjoyed the time we spent with them as much as we like our clothes.

today we are (hopefully) taking the night train north to the capitol of hanoi, where we plan to explore the region on russian "minsk" motorcycles for the next week.  we continue to enjoy a daily vietnamese coffee (or three), made strong enough to "rip the enamel off your teeth" and sweetened with condensed milk.  yum!! 

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

Stin and Kendra, you sound like your trip is so interesting. thanks for keeping us posted. we will continue to follow your progress take care
Lynette

  Lynette and Peter Jan 24, 2007 9:15 AM

About stin_kendra


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.