Existing Member?

On the road again! After meeting up in Mexico Nadia and I are tripping our way down through Central America and around South America with no particular agenda and 4 months to play with.

Puno - Lake Titicaca

PERU | Sunday, 23 August 2009 | Views [322]

This part of our trip was pretty chaotic to be honest. We arrived at 5am in Puno from Cuzco and arranged a hotel room straight off the bus so we could go and have a much needed sleep. We had however decided that we did not want to waste too much time in Puno so we arranged a tour to some of the islands for the day and it started at 7am!

After a very brief nap we were up again and off to the ferry to Euros. The traditional reed islands that the people of Euros make and live on were pretty cool but with a combination of lack of sleep, bad guide and a very commercial/staged feel to it all I did not really enjoy the traditional re-enactments that were put on for us of island life. I did however enjoy the little island off to the side of the one we were on that housed guinea pigs and rabbits to be cooked up for dinners. They were on their own tiny little island tied to the big one so that short of learning to swim or becoming tightrope walkers there was no possible escape!

We also visited Taquila which was more of the same local people trying to sell you their handicrafts that customs would never allow back into Australia or Canada. There was a great view across the lake of the snowy Bolivian mountains though and the island gave a great view of just how vast the lake really is.

After staying one night in Puno Nadia and I jumped on a bus to cross over into Bolivia and get to La Paz.

The high point of these few days was that we received an email from home telling us that our brother Leith and his girlfriend Jodie had had our little nephew Jack Thomas Booton. Very exciting!

About stiena_booton


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.