Existing Member?

Venetian Perfection

Moonlight serenade

ITALY | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [104] | Scholarship Entry

It was the perfect moment, something that if it was given too much thought we would never have done, and it turned out to be a highlight of the trip. A gondola ride!
Having found out an idea of cost, we were ready to walk away and come back in the daytime until a bearded gondolier, and the business owner took over the discussion.
"Don't wait until the morning, all the tourists will be looking for a gondola, all the motorboats will be around taking goods to shops and companies, you have arrived at the perfect time for a gondola ride, a full moon and calm water, so lets go!"
We glanced at each other and then found ourselves boarding the beautifully shaped craft and settling down for the ride. The gondolier was right, it was still, calm, less boats, less people and in some of the canals stunning as the lights from the shops restaurants and homes lit the way, but all the way we were followed by this stunning full moon.

As we journeyed along we were given a full account of palaces, homes of the rich and famous, historical figures and particular goings on through the history of this incredible city of Venice. So many special secrets were explained to us as we watched, listened, snapped the odd photograph and touched the old bridges and walls as we passed them by, steered with precision around the canals.

Our journey was close to its end, and the evening was now dark. then the fun began.

"Do you like to sing? I love music!" said our pilot "Do you like Elton John or David Bowie?"

This wasn't what we had expected but the last 5 minutes of our gondola ride were spent in full voice, all three of us singing as much as we could remember, some in English, some in Italian, rock ballads blasted out echoing down the canal sides! Then just laughter.

"It has been my pleasure!" said our host, driver and entertainer.

No the pleasure and the memory was wonderful, thank you!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About steviewriter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.