Existing Member?

cruisin name is stevie from australia, 27 years old, cruisin the world at my own free will, all cashed up and places to go, where? i dunno, we will find out when i get there.

japan! i dont understand

USA | Monday, 1 October 2007 | Views [468]

Well, i just arrived in the u.s after spending a week in Japan, one tip if you ever wanna go, learn a bit of the basic language, it helps. I lived on pringles and water for a week cause I didn't know how to ask for anything. Getting around Japan is really hard unless you use the JR rail network (really expensive though). The local rail is really good, cheap and reliable, try buying a ticket to go anywhere though. I eventually worked it out but that was on my second last day :) You have to get out of the really big cities like Tokyo and Osaka to really experience Japan. I did end up going to Osaka aquarium, not bad for 2000 yen or $20 AUD, but I did end up going on a Sunday, there were people everywhere and I mean everywhere, I'm quite tall so seeing over the top of everyone at the displays wasn't too bad but if your under 6 ft ya gunna have problems, maybe during the week would be a better time to go. For an extra 600 yen you can go on the ferris wheel next to aquarium to get a better look at the city (well worth it).

The majority of my trip was spent in Wakayama, this place is really good, you have the city with Wakayama castle right in the middle and then 10 minutes by train you have Isonoura beach, a little surf hang out for the locals. Best surf beach in all of Japan apparently, not on the day I went, waves under a foot but they were all still out there givin it a crack. Wakayama Castle and gardens is awesome, you can sit in a little corner of this huge traditional Japanese garden for hours and just do nothing. Its a good place to get out of the heat, Wakayama castle is just as good and an absolute bargain to get into, 250 yen. The castle itself is a concrete replica that was built after the U.S bombed it during World War 2, it is still very impressive. You can climb right to the top and sit in the main tower and look out of the city and sea. Like the gardens you can find yourself in the castle for hours, it is full of ancient weopons, artifacts and the Samurai armour is a must see. Make sure while your here you stop in at the temple and make a donation, who knows it might bring you some luck.

Tags: Adventures

About stevieaus


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.