Existing Member?

Steveandruthstravels

LA to Santa Barbara

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 20 October 2015 | Views [251]

Up and packed to clear the house ready for the housekeeper to come in. We had enjoyed staying at the house in Park La Brea. The Park was over 4,000 dwellings - apartments and one, two or three bed roomed houses. Many grassy areas and lots of trees and well planted beds. It was well looked after, immaculate even. There was a pool, fitness centre, cafes, cinema, children's play areas, all within its gated confines.

Headed south to pick up Interstate 10 to its western end where it splits off California State Route 1, also known as the Pacific Coast Highway. We turned north along SR1 at Santa Monica heading for Malibu. Malibu was a bit disappointing, we were expecting to see large, smart ocean side properties, but we didn't see any apart from the Getty Mansion sitting on a hill beside the highway, but that was before Malibu anyway. There were many smallish properties along the road, all with their backs to the road, not their most attractive feature, but they did enjoy great ocean views. Not much to see on the right as the Santa Monica Mountains came right down to the road.

We stopped at a couple of beaches along the way and enjoyed our lunch watching the waves and the surfers at Leo Carillo State beach. One or two of the surfers were really good and travelled a long way along the wave, but most didn't! On along the highway, through Ventura, pulled off into Carpinteria, a very pleasant little town, and again into Summerland before finally arriving at Santa Barbara. It was good to connect the towns and highways to various songs. The Franciscan Inn was very welcoming, nice room, good location. We settled in the drove downtown to see the historic area. Demolished by an earthquake in 1925, it was rebuilt in a Mediterranean style, and nicely done too. Ruth found another Skechers shoe shop and bought yet more shoes.

Back to the Inn for a little rest and the remains of our cheesecakes - still delicious! Later we went out to nearby restaurant, Fishouse, where we enjoyed a lovely dinner, I had seafood pasta and Ruth scallops and bacon with a green salad. All very good. Bed.

About steveturpin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.