Existing Member?

Steveandruthstravels

Las Vegas to Joshua Tree NP

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 16 October 2015 | Views [165]

 

The hotel had a pool, but when I turned up to swim, I was told it was closed for a private party! So, to breakfast, we waited an age for the food to come and when it did it was cool, if not cold. Summoning the manager and complaining he offered to take care of the check - it sometime pays to complain!

Having checked out we found the I15 and headed south across the desert again. Back into California and the Mojave Desert. We left the I15 to pick up the Nipton road that we had travelled down a few weeks before. The road passed through the Mojave National Reserve, mile after mile of desert and it was hot - 100F for a long while. We passed the Kelso Dunes, from three miles away they looked huge. On and out the other side of the Reserve, but still the Mojave Desert which went on and on. Trucking on south, we joined the old Route 66 as far as Amboy, before we eventually found 29 Palms, the little town where we were to stay - at Spin and Margie's Desert Hide-a-way.

A quaint collection of cabins, the gardens were all planted with various cactus and similar. The rooms were done in a sort of Mexican style and very comfortable. Monday, our host was delightful and helpful. Dinner, a barbecue, was great and we had found a very nice bottle of wind, so a very pleasant evening in the warm desert air.

About steveturpin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.