Existing Member?

Steveandruthstravels

Grand Canyon 2

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 2 October 2015 | Views [109]

Up a little earlier today as we planned to hike a trail that gets full sun in the afternoon and becomes very hot. As it was it was 80F as we arrived at the GCNP visitor centre where we were to catch the orange route shuttle bus out to South Kaibab Trailhead. So, we were to walk the Ooh Aah Trail (yes, it really is called that). It was a 1.8 mile round trip descending 760 feet/230m to Ooh Aah Point and then, and perhaps more importantly climbing back up the 760 feet we had just descended. To start with the trail zig-zags steeply down a cliff face and then hugs the edge of the canyon out to the Point, the rocky top of high cliff, very dramatic.

The trail continues right down to the River Colorado and across a suspension bridge to Phantom Ranch (where you can stay overnight, if booked in advance) but it is not do-able in a day, and anyway, it's too far, too hot, and it's a drop of 4,800 feet from the trailhead and therefore an equal climb back! The trail we did walk was stunning, the changes of scenery, the sheer drops to one side and the vistas were incredible. We took it steady, taking lots of photographs as we went, chatted to some of the other people on the trail and made it there and back in 2 hours. Whilst it seemed a long way down, it was only 760 feet and there was another 4,000 feet to go to reach the river, just to put the walk into context. Anyway it was well worth the trek.

Back on the shuttle bus to Yaki Point, considered to offer, along with Pima Point, the best views of the Canyon, as they are on promontories that extend well into the Canyon. Well we were not disappointed, the views were stupendous, almost 270 degrees and the sun was still shining; it was hot and we loved it. Back on the bus to the other end of the route at Yavapai Point and the Geology Museum. The museum although very small was interesting; it told the story of the canyon from 13,500 million years ago to today, and a projection for the future.

Yavapai Point had amazing views, but there were so many people there, many with selfie sticks, and many Chinese, pushing and shoving their way through. The Chinese, as tourists, must be the worst people on earth, demonstrating absolutely no consideration for their fellow man. Enough of that rant, but we had experienced Chinese tourists a great deal and did not like what we saw. We walked on the Rim Trail to Mather Point some 0.7 miles away with more amazing views but By the time we got to Mather Point we were thoroughly fed up with the crowds and bailed out to the car.

A stop for laundry duties and we returned to the hotel. On the way we saw a magnificent bull elk, huge antlers, but just grazing, no rutting just yet although the time must be close. Dinner at the Coronado, a smart restaurant for our last night at Grand Canyon. We had elk tenderloin and buffalo short ribs, both were delicious though Ruth preferred the buffalo as the elk was a bit gamey . All washed down with a Californian Zinfandel, a lovely meal.

So, Grand Canyon, it is absolutely breathtaking, we had a great time. The shuttle bus system is wonderful, all the drivers were knowledgeable, helpful and very chatty. The whole park is well looked after without being pristine, it is still a wilderness experience, not to be missed. Glad we came.

About steveturpin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.