Existing Member?

Travelling Tales

Berlin

GERMANY | Wednesday, 13 May 2015 | Views [121] | Scholarship Entry

I cannot say that I was overly frilled when I booked a holiday to Berlin. It never interested me. I am more of an ‘ancient history’ kind of guy rather than ‘modern warfare’ and I was sceptical the entire flight there. Maybe it was the company I was with or not but when I saw the industrial airport, my initial feelings continued. But something then happened. On my way into the city, I found myself in awe at the amazing buildings. Tall giant skyscrapers alongside archaic buildings that have stood the test of time. I had never seen anything like this before, and I have seen my fair share of beautiful buildings (Venice a particular beauty). After grabbing some food in a small restaurant along the River Spree and one of Berlin’s iconic beers, my feelings began to change. This is not a city hung up over the war but instead a thriving and beautiful city with so much to see and do that I was worried we wouldn’t have time to see it all, this is where my list making comes in handy. For one week, I planned the days hour by hour and made sure that I was on time for each excursion I had planned. These included a visit to the Reichstag building through to the Jewish War Memorial. That is a place that everyone must see. How it makes you feel words cannot describe but it is a true triumph in the world of memorials. The feelings it evokes and the power that it has is something that you have to see to experience yourself. I cannot really say that I am a great fan of football but the Germans certainly know how to throw a party. I was lucky enough to be in the city during the 2014 World Cup and the first game that Germany played, where they thrashed Portugal 4-0 was one of the best experiences ever imagined. With roughly eight big screens placed near the Brandenburg Gate it seemed the entire Berlin population was there. People were dressed up in German flags, me being one as well, and the atmosphere was out of this world. People hugging, people smiling and laughing and singing. What a truly brilliant experience. Next World Cup, I will be sure to return to Berlin. With the East and West divide during the Cold War, there are clear differences between the two sides. One has the feel of a contemporary, fashion-filled city whereas the other has a more bohemian-esque feel that reminded me of Paris which I did remark vocally. This is a city for everyone.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About stevenpbrown


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.