Existing Member?

Weeks Of Adventure

A Stroll Through Amsterdams Red Light District

NETHERLANDS | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

A haze of smoke dances around gleams of red light, illuminating scantily dressed women luring unsuspecting tourists into their showrooms.

My head is swimming in a dreamlike state; walking the streets of the red light district, I get vicariously high from strolling by groups of people smoking pot in the street. Mesmerized, I think, "I shouldn't be here,” and yet I can't pull myself away.

Turning down a cobble stone alleyway, tall closely-knit brick buildings hug the street as bikes zip past and a tram rings its bell, warning pedestrians to clear a path. With each step, a new facet of this multidimensional city is being revealed.

The presence of legal prostitution, drugs and blaring techno music is not for everyone; however, it adds to the character of this vibrate country.

If I were to do it all again, this is how I would experience Amsterdam for the first time.

Plan your trip for the last week of April. Spring births the tulip festival. Millions of tulip bulbs are in bloom, lighting up the fields in a sea of color. The tulip fields of Keukenhof Gardens are easily accessible from central station and will cost about 12 euros to get to. There is no need to worry about language barriers; English is spoken everywhere.

Kings Day is held annually on April 27th. The cities canals and streets fill with happy citizens wearing orange, celebrating a culture rich in community. If you want to keep the party going, spring ushers in the festival season. Every night of the week you are able to soak in the sounds of music playing in venues across the city. People gather to watch movies in the park and bbq with friends.

Jump in a boat and enjoy a relaxing canal cruise or a bicycle ride past the windmills and green pastures that lie right outside the bustling city. Be sure to pack a lunch of Dutch cuisine for the journey. The Broodje Bal Met Satesaus is a flavorful sandwich that combines a sliced seasoned meatball with grilled onions and peanut butter sauce on a fluffy bun. A delightful Stroopwafle is the perfect dessert. A thin waffle that is cut in half horizontally and filled with a sweet syrup.

The charm of Amsterdam wraps me up and whisks me into a new colorful space of infinite possibility, making it one of my favorite cities in the world.

Enjoy my video overview of Amsterdam.
http://youtu.be/pJzshYV4iWg

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About stephweeks


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.