Existing Member?

Travel Feeds the Soul

On the Hunt

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [174] | Scholarship Entry

It was still dark. Quiet. The only light I could see was dim and in the distance. Today was the day. I was going to find a lion. It had been two days of exploring and combing through the 220 square miles that made up Pilanesberg National Park and I had yet to find a lion. But today was going to be different. I armed myself with patience, determination and all of the lion knowledge that I gathered in the past two days and set out.

As I drove, the dark sky began to lighten and the stars one by one disappeared until finally the sun decided to shine its light onto the vast grassland. Zebras and giraffes emerged as they feasted on the tall grass. They were different from the zebras and giraffes I’d seen in zoos. Maybe it was because it felt like they were home and maybe it was because there wasn’t a barrier between us and maybe it was because their coats shined. I felt like I was invited to share breakfast with them.

Continuing my journey, I finally reached my destination. No lions to be found. I waited. A lone wildebeest was drinking water, minding his own business until he suddenly stood to attention. He froze. I looked in the direction he was looking and in the distance saw the grass rustling. Binoculars on, I saw that in the distance there was slow movement in the grass. A lioness was circling a herd of wildebeest. The herd began to make its way closer to me. Then another lioness circled the herd from the other side, trying to trap them. I was witnessing a strategic hunt first hand! The wildebeest quickened their gait and the lions did too. Eventually though, the lions gave up and the wildebeest escaped.

I decided to stay put because I thought that after a small chase, the lions would surely be tired and thirsty and would want a drink of water from the watering hole that I was near. Sure enough, the pack made their way to the watering hole. Dad, five moms and four cubs all came for a drink. The cubs wrestled with one another and the moms protectively surveyed their surroundings. I was overwhelmed with excitement and it took all my strength to remain calm and remain an observer. I was a fly on the wall in the home of the king of beasts.

I went to Africa to see lions, to fulfill my childhood dream of seeing “The Lion King” in real life. And I did. Along the way, I saw the rest of the cast from meerkats to warthogs and everything in-between. The circle of life unfolded in front of my eyes and I was elated to have the opportunity to be a part of it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About stephtheexplorer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.