Existing Member?

Orders to Explore

Petting Zoo with a View

NORWAY | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [292] | Scholarship Entry

From Ibiza to London; from the French Riviera to Budapest. I have been fortunate enough to explore some of the most beautiful places around the globe: 40 American states and 20 European countries. The highlight of all my trips was spending a few days in the Norwegian fjords with my husband, Brian. We met in Bergen and left for Vossevangen with the hopes of hiking Bakkanosi with only a map and compass. Instead, we ended up getting lost in the mountains, being ambushed by farm animals, and turning a two-hour car ride into a five-hour extravaganza. In remembering this trip, we can’t help but laugh and think how our well-planned trip turned into the most rewarding fiasco.
Our plans quickly changed twenty minutes into our drive. The dark, unreinforced tunnels were too much for my claustrophobia to handle and resulted in me forcing Brian to turn the car around. Alternatively, we drove to the village of Bakka on the Naeroyfjord; most would know this as the inspiration for Ardenelle in the movie Frozen.
Brian and I started the daunting hike up Rimstigen. The views were majestic, awe-inspiring, and unlike any I’d ever seen. The bright green of the grass and the trees on the sides of the mountains rose straight from a crystal blue basin. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time enjoying the great outdoors of North America and parts of Europe, but I’ve yet to see a place so pristine and seemingly untouched by humans. Brian had to drag me up the side of the mountain because I kept pausing for pictures. Every time I turned around, the scenery was breathtaking, and I simply had to capture it.
Finally, we made it to the top! The view was simply breathtaking! On our descent, we excitedly jabbered on about how we couldn’t wait to share our photos with family. However, nothing can compare to seeing the fjords firsthand. I’d seen some amazingly beautiful places in the previous six months, but each new discovery in Norway somehow proved better than the last.
We didn’t make it out of Bakka before we were forced to stop again. This time, several cows and mini horses were taking it easy, congregating in the middle of the road. I had no other choice than to take a few pictures and pet the horses. Ultimately, my fear of a collapsing tunnel and our all-around “failed plans” turned into our greatest day trip. If I could do it again, I wouldn’t change a thing. Because, really, who wouldn’t want to hike a mountain and catch their breath petting mini horses in Norway?

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About stephjwilson

Hiking up Rimstigen

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.