Existing Member?

Honduran adventures

I walked behind a waterfall

HONDURAS | Tuesday, 21 April 2015 | Views [124] | Scholarship Entry

I never thought I would dare to do anything this crazy in my life. It started out with an idea to spend a weekend somewhere close by. So together with a bunch of friends, I decided to go to Pena Blanca; a lake town 2.5 hours away from where I live. We went there on a small bus called "Rapidito" which literally mean "the little fast one,” and I’m still amazed at how in the world that we got out of the bus alive after being cramped with at least 40 other people with the bus going on at a 60 miles/hour speed. Finally we got dropped off at our destination and made our way to our hotel.

We stayed at D&D Brewery, a really cool place to stay, with simple accommodations and a micro-brewery, nestled among a lush garden setting. We grabbed dinner at the on-site restaurant and had a couple of drinks then we called it a night. We woke up ready and excited to explore the surrounding area. We had a breakfast of "Baleadas" which is a huge piece of flour tortilla with re-fried beans, eggs, cheese, and mantequilla (the Honduran version of sour cream) plus an awesome cup of coffee. Our bellies were full and we were really ready to go exploring.

Our first stop was the 140-foot tall Pulhapanzak waterfall, it's a pretty big and picturesque waterfall situated among the lush forest of Honduras' high lands. Some of our friends decided to do the canopy tour above the waterfall which I thought sounded pretty cool, but I decided to do something daring: walking behind the waterfall tour! Together with a guide, we started from the trail-head some distance away. We jumped into several water pools to get closer and as we got to the wall a few feet away from the streaming water, we had to hold on to the rope that is planted on the wall to avoid being pushed down by the water. The guide stopped us right behind the waterfall and told us to look up, and there it was; the perfect white stream of water that goes on and on. The feeling was indescribable and it's definitely worth the money and effort to get there. We then made our way back to the water pools and finished the tour with jumping off a 25-foot high cliff. I went back to the hotel really refreshed and proud. It's definitely worth doing and I cannot wait to hear stories from other travelers that have done the same thing that I did at the waterfall. We stayed for 2 more nights exploring the area and left Pena Blanca with good experiences and stories to tell.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About stenthewanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.