Existing Member?

The Starving Traveler

Almost round the World in 80 days

EGYPT | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [164] | Scholarship Entry

In August of 2013 I had the pleasure of make a great friend of another country, he was in my town as a volunteer and I ended up showing him my culture and daily life, which rendered us great stories about girls, drinking and when I realized, even my mother saw as a child . When he needed to return to London , his hometown , invited me to visit him, and I thought, why not? London is an expensive city and had this paradigm in my head for a long time, but when I stopped to think and research and saw that it was possible, I decided to go! After long work convincing my parents, I booked my flight to five months ahead , but due to a misunderstanding , my stay in London would last 25 days, and not the original 15. So I thought , "Well, since I'm there, why not visit other friends who live on the mainland?" and two months later, I bought additional tickets to the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Denmark. Things were already underway when less than a month before the trip, I decide to quit my job and also travel to Egypt to work as a volunteer for 07 weeks. My parents freaking out with the idea of letting me go to Egypt, due to revolution. Long conversations with my Egyptians friends and my parents relented. On the day of the trip, on my way to the airport, I realized the extent that my simple trip to London had taken: 15 days had become 80. And were unforgettable! I spent my christmas in a London Pub with a british family, said hello to 2014 in Netherlands, almost saw the pope but had the best meal of my life in Italy, fall in love for Berlin and almost sleep in streets in Denmark with no money. Saw egyptians celebrating their voice on streets during the third birthday of Arab Spring and most important: I made friends for lifetime.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About starvingtravelever


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.