Existing Member?

Magical Moments!

Love from strangers

INDIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [161] | Scholarship Entry

I dared to hope. "Yes! It could be," I murmured, nearly skidding on fresh layered snow. The world seemed enveloped in hues of blue and grey. Silhouettes of mountains stood out against the sky, quickly losing their contours as darkness established its supremacy. Thankfully, it wasn't snowing. We hastened our steps.

A trail of images flashed through my inner eye: The intrepid decision to complete a two day trek in one day, via the local shortcut. The audacious agreement to take no camping equipment. The treacherous, rugged and steep climb up to the Chanderkhani Pass (3660 mts) from the quaint hamlet Malana. The peace, isolation and oneness with nature. The triumph and pride we felt as we scaled the top. The snow-capped peaks encircling us. The first flakes of snow fall dancing in the air... Heaven!

"Hurry up! The weather is getting rough. Never underestimate the mountains. These are the mighty Himalayas! " shouted Prem, the local who was our porter-cum-guide on this excursion. "We must reach the base. The route is uninhibited except for tribal Gujjars and an aged couple. At the onset of summer, the couple raises a temporary tent in Chaklani. But it's too early in the season for them," trailed off Prem.

Still reeling from the adrenaline rush, we began the gradual descent. Walking in the midst of a snowstorm, we soon realised, required tact and skill. As the hours slipped by so did the solar rays. Optimism and excitement quickly gave way to panic.

"Could that dark patch be a tent?" pointed a friend.

With renewed energy we trudged ahead. It wasn't till we almost walked into it, that we could confirm the existence of what seemed earlier to be a mirage of makeshift dwellings.

With a smile and tea on a stove, an old lady greeted us at the door-flap. " On observing your flashlights at this hour, we assume you are stranded. Stay with us, continue your journey tomorrow. We do not have much to offer but for 2-minute Maggi noodles, our all-purpose tent and thick blankets. The temperature will be extreme at night. Snuggle in tight and sleep well! "

Her husband ventured out to light a fire from the only logs of wood he had. "Tomorrow, I walk to collect more. Tonight, this will keep us warm, " he said.

As we slurped on steamy soupy noodles, watching the amber flickers from the bonfire, I could not help but feel engulfed by the love in the universe. Without us asking for much, the two miracle workers had offered us the basic essentials of life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About stardust


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.