Existing Member?

Here I go

Welcome to Greece

GREECE | Thursday, 22 April 2010 | Views [266]

Athens is amazing.  It's a white city built in a large basin with the Acropolis rising from the center.  It's not suprising that the ancient Greeks declared the Acropolis the city of the gods.  It seems magical, the way the hill just rises from the floor of the basin.  I'll have to come back to visit the Acropolis though...I walked up the hill this morning only to discover it closed due to a strike.

Greece's natural landscape is similar to home; the chapparal is beautiful, although there are many more trees in the parks, rather than scrub brush. (I'm not sure if that is natural, or planted, tbh.) Walking through the streets I hear the familiar sparrow; I'm not sure if it's the same species at home, but they sound the same. I see many doves as well. There are many birds of different species, which I would like to learn the names of.  And of course the familiar pigeon.

One of my favorite things so far are the dogs. (of course.)  Most of them look cared for but they seem to lounge around off leashes, laying in shady spots or on the cool stone walkways, in a way that would never be allowed back home. They're all polite though.  :D

My favorite place so far is the rocky outcropping of the Areopagus.  I spent most of my time looking at the shiny rocks glistening in the sun, and not the incredible view from the location (like everyone else, lol.)  It was just amazing textures and colors that make me want to recreate it in some sculpture.

Tomorrow I head to the Island of Santorini (if the ferry strike ends)  which I am looking forward to. 

 

About stacey_myst


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.