Existing Member?

Stacey's Journal

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [663] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I traveled to Ecuador I met the Shuar people and their strength fascinated me. When I did my Masters in Visual Anthropology I knew I wanted to make a film about the Shuar and I knew that mining is a big issue in their communities so I wanted to highlight the complexities of this issue. The Shuar stressed the importance of the forest in their culture and traditions and how it is vital to their cultural survival.

I planned my piece with help from a Professor who put me in contact with members of the Shuar Federation who helped me plan my full piece. This included filming of a Shuar provincial assembly, a protected area and a mining area.

I had to prepare and plan for numerous and unexpected challenges as I was traveling and filming alone. This made me think about equipment problems, medication, and filming in difficult situations as well as overcoming language barriers.

As a documentary maker I want to make films that will impact on people’s minds. I want to create films that make people think and ask questions about the world they don’t know and the world they think they know.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

Comments

1

See the full film at http://vimeo.com/7594733

  stace Aug 1, 2010 10:18 PM

2

Love your work Stacey!

  Julian Neurauter Aug 2, 2010 12:20 AM

About stace


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.