Existing Member?

stace-see-scope's journal

thanksgiving in morocco

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 23 May 2012 | Views [1028]


The streets ran red with blood today. It was L'Eid Kibir, the Moroccan ‘Big Feast’. We slaughtered the sheep just before noon, and its freshly cut neck hung open as the life drained from its body. Its eyes closed as the last drop escaped and then a long pause, no movement for what seemed like long enough to declare death, and yet, the will to live is strong. Even when headless, the body struggled to stand in violent kicks just before a final strain and surrender; then all was silent, only the sheen of the blade glistening unabashedly.

 

The men skinned and disemboweled the sacrifice with nimble ease, and the women cleaned the viscera for lunch, their bare hands in plastic buckets, cold water to clean and extract feast from save-for-later spicing, and we grilled the heart, intestines, and liver wrapped in fat for our first meal. My family smiled contentedly as we ate with our hands from a communal tagine, insistent upon giving me the best pieces, and delighted to share this sacred thanksgiving with me.

 

I was reminded of how closely the destructive and creative forces mingle, as one turns perpetually into the other. A life was given to sustain mine today and I felt sincere gratitude. I had eaten the heart of our kill, and was humbled by the purity of being so close to the source.

 

As dusk settled, I crowded into the back room with my host father and mother, staring at the earthen walls where the rain had leaked in, quiet except for the steaming pressure cooker and the crackling wood in the furno that heated it. As we sat in this mud house, in this small village, in this simplicity, three souls around a fire, waiting to fill up, and then rest our eyes for the evening, I lay my head in my mother's lap, the warmth emanating from her weathered hands as they found their way upon my face, our communication as base as it began, in loving caresses.

 

Food is conversation, I thought. It is what we can share authentically with each other when we have no words.

About stace-see-scope


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.