Existing Member?

Tim Stabers' Journal

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [314] | Scholarship Entry

When speaking to a friend, she mentioned she was going to be visiting her friends who both had Friedreich's Ataxia.  Having never heard of the disease, I asked some more questions and discovered that some community organizations in the girls’ area were constructing an addition onto the family's home. Wanting to help, I figured that a video might aid in raising money.

I began by researching Friedreich's Ataxia. I read news articles and watched a couple documentaries relating to the disease.  I then shaped some questions to ask Mary, Sam, and Alex during their interviews. I thought about visually compelling elements of the construction of a house so as to plan the best day to shoot. Since framing is the most drastic change between a foundation and the completion of a home, I phoned the family to ask when framing was scheduled.

The big challenge any documentarian faces is trust. Each new piece means a new relationship with your subject. You need to spend time with them prior to shooting to ensure that they are going to feel comfortable opening up to you personally.  The other challenge you face is the unreliability of technology. Remembering that what can go wrong will go wrong is key to maintaining a level head, taking care of issues as they arise, and ensuring your subjects never see you lose your patience.

I believe documentary film has the ability to give an audience a true insight into a specific subject matter. By hearing a social problem directly from the people it's effecting, it becomes difficult for skeptics to ignore the people they see on screen, because those people are no longer a number in a statistic. They're no longer a face in the crowd. They are a human being with whom the audience relates.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About stab3rs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.