Existing Member?

Sam-I-Am Violin on the streets, fundamentalist Judaism, planting organic vegetables, and the like.

Got the scrawny legs but I move just like Lou Brock

USA | Sunday, 23 December 2007 | Views [1230] | Comments [4]

I had a falling-out with my old barber, and the woman at supercuts was asking so many questions, so really there was no other option than to cut all my hair off.

I had a falling-out with my old barber, and the woman at supercuts was asking so many questions, so really there was no other option than to cut all my hair off.

I'm drinking green tea to calm me before the storm and settle my stomach after eating kosher chinese for dinner. I leave tomorrow morning for Israel. There's been so much to do and so many people to say goodbye to; I think that it won't hit me, what I am doing for the next six odd months, until I am on the plane (though the last month at home can be accurately summarized as leisurely wake-ups, reading books on the couch, and sweatpants).

For the record, the idea is this: to go to Israel. To go to Jordan and Egypt. To go to Morocco. To go to Spain, France, Portugal, and England. Or something to that effect. Nothing is planned really except for a one-way ticket to Tel Aviv, and an all-expenses-paid 3-week stay at a yeshiva.

Paul Bowles wrote in the preface to one of his short stories collections, "Each time I go to a place I have not seen before, I hope it will be as different as possible from the places I already know."

Amen.

Tags: home, planning, travel philosophy

 

Comments

1

So glad to have this blog to keep in touch with your travels and experiences! Also glad you arrived safely! Have a wonderful trip! We love you very much!

  Aunt Norma Dec 27, 2007 11:38 PM

2

Hi Samuel,

So glad you arrived safely at the yeshiva. I prayed for your safe arrival and hope you will remember my instructions "to take no risks".

I'm visualizing you and your violin making new friends and beautiful music.

Luv, grandma

  grandma Jan 2, 2008 8:36 AM

3

Hi Sam -
Just a quick note from the Ruopp clan to tell you that we enjoyed reading your first entries, and wish you all the best in your amazing travels. Take good care of yourself - and we look forward to hearing many tales.

Love,

Faye

  Faye Ruopp Jan 3, 2008 7:24 AM

4

Hi!
Love your journals.
Good luck and best wishes!
T A J

  allwelcome Mar 20, 2008 2:44 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.