Existing Member?

My affair!

My affair!

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [462] | Scholarship Entry

I walk on, and on and on. My legs are slightly aching now. But, I trod on. I can feel the level of energy in the atmosphere rising. The colors become brighter, and there is more red, more yellow, and more pink! The crowd is thickening as well, along with the intensity of white noise. The bright lights are almost glaring at me and infusing me with sudden shots of adrenaline.

And then I stop mid-way with my mouth half open! It was like I was being transformed into another galaxy of sorts. There in the intersection of 46th and 7th lies the famous Times Square with all of its flaunting. I stare in awe at the lights, the energy and the people in the square. It is like thousand giant televisions are staring at me consistently. The advertisements on the screens keep on changing to tell me convincing stories about American products and services. There are some Chinese people, Saudis, Indians or South Asians, Americans, Mexicans and more! I hear three different languages simultaneously. There is batman, superman and spider man too, graciously offering to pose for photographs for a dollar fifty! Now I slowly move my eyes towards the sky. Ah, there is the big 2012 ball that everyone keeps talking about.

I grab a hot dog and a Pepsi and make my way to the signature red steps. I’m fortunate enough to find an empty spot onto the right. I hungrily dig into the hot dog while taking in all my surroundings. I thought sitting inside Starbucks and staring at people outside was fun. But this was like the Almighty decided to smile down upon me from heaven! I soaked up all of it, every little ounce of color and energy. I sat there one whole hour, alone with my Pepsi. But, when I finally stood up, tearing myself from this enchantment, I didn’t feel alone at all. I felt like I’ve been to visit my elder cousin, with whom I shared many of my intimate secrets without the fear of judgment.

On my way back, I glanced back towards the square for one last look. Our eyes met, and then I realized that I had fallen in love truly, madly, and deeply, once again! I went there again every free weekend. I took family and friends to see my amazing second love! And every single time I went, I felt those butterflies squirming in my stomach. They never ceased to squirm during those six months that I lived in the beautiful island of Manhattan! I have now come to realize that my affair with Times Square is of the never-ending kind!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ssourjah


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.