Existing Member?

What's Sy up to these days?

As far as Amritsar

INDIA | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [697] | Comments [3]

Hello again


Well, first of all, sorry for it being so long since I've updated this, I've got tons of excuses I can make up if you like, but really I just haven't got round to it. I'm now in Amritsar with a keyboard perched on my knee and a couple of hours until I have to get an autorickshaw to the station for my train to Jaipur. (leaves at 2.30, gets in at 9 tomorrow morning, but I get a bed).

The result of me not updating this for ages, is I've now got a hell of a lot to write, and you've got a hell of a lot to read. I feel sorry for both of us, but many for me, since you can give up and go and watch telly if you get bored, and I can't. So we'll break it up into chunks to make it easier for everyone. No photos today because I've got no battery in my camera, but soon. (promise!)


Prologue

In my last story on here that actualy I did have some news, I just forgot to mention it. Tim and I took a trip to a local castle out of Manali on the local bus, but when we got there it was more like a big house. It was very nice and pretty though, and we took lots of pictures etc. However, the real fun was on the way back when there were no seats left on the bus, and so I had the fantastic idea of riding on top, Indian-style. (sorry Mum, won't do it again!) It just so happened that on this bus we were the only two people doing it, and so we got a few surprised looks and a bit of laughter from the locals as we went through the villiages. We decided that the higher up off the ground you are, the better mood you're in, as most people on the ground wqouldn't wave back, and everybody on top of vehicles and buildings thought we were hilarious. This theory was confirmed by somebody on a balcony, half way up, giving us a half smile and an unsure wave. Which was nice.


Chapter 1

Um, what hapended then? Oh yeah, Shimla (not mentioning football). Had a great couple of days there, met a french girl called Anais who was teaching there, and an Indian guy called Belal. Went on a day trek with them and a few others, including Shane from Canada who got me quite interested in teaching english abroad. (quite a lot of money for not a lot of work!). We saw a really nice waterfall and the old palace of the Viceroy, will put some pictures on here soon. Then said goodbye to Tim and headed on to McLeod Ganj (Dharamsala), sat next to a cool Columbian guy called Guillermo on the bus was was heading for Panthankot.


Chaper 2

will be longer than chapter 1. Had hardly been in McLeod Ganj 5 minutes whan I met Rose, from North East India near the Myanmar border, and Ledoe, a local. Spent the next few days there with them, some of Rose's friends came up from Delhi. Ended up staying there longer than planned since there was a teaching with the Dalai Lama on the first of October, and I'd finally managed to find people who liked staying up and drinking beer. Went for a couple of nice walks, a nice waterfall (where, bizarrely, we ate supernoodles), and equally strangely went on the paddle boats on a lake half way up a mountain.

On the thursday, actually bumped into swomebody I met in Nottingham 2 months ago (Anybody who went to the Chill in the park remember meeting lyrikool lipz after? Jeebo you've met him before because he beat you in the beatboxing champs!) which was really weird and freaked us both out for a bit.

Also had some Indian cookery lessons- learned to make mater paneer, spicy veg, dal, garlic naan, chapati and butter chicken, which is really, really nice. No doubt some of you will get to sample the fruits of my talents at some point!

On the last day went to the teachings with the Dalai Lama. It was really packed, but I had a good seat beacuse I got woken up at 5.15 by some noisy french-speaking Indians in my hotel. The teachings were interesting, but had spoke in tibetan was was translated into english over fm radio, so I wasn't so much listening to him speak as the translater, who was a little monotone and hard to follow. All good though, and then later that afternoon bumped into Guillermo (had alreay said goodbye to Rose et al)- another strange coincidence! It turns out Guillermo quite likes drinking beer too, and just as I was about to leave the bar at an almost sensible time (had to be up at 3.30 to get the bus), bumped into a brother and sister from Totnes (Devon) and didn't get back until after 12, when I still had to do some untidy packing before setting my alarm for 3.45 and falling asleep. Just made the bus, slept on the first one (30 mins), then tried to sleep on the second, long distance one, but had a really crap seat at the front, where I had my knees strapped up to my chest and was shaken until my liver hurt. Relocated to the back and slept for 2 hours with my head vibrating against the window.


Chapter 3

Arrived in Amritsar (Punjab) earlier than I thought, so had time to head straight to the Golden Temple (which is literally covered in gold). Felt tired, hungry and out of place for a bit, felt like people were staring a bit too much, but after an hour or so and some free dal, chapati and rice in the temple canteen felt much better, and realised that most people here are actually incredably friendly. REALLY friendly. In fact, walking through the alleys of the textile market nearby, and around the streets and temples, everybody (especially kids) keeps coming up and saying hello (the only English word they know) and shaking my hand. At the border someone (a bloke) asked for my phone number, and one family even took a picture of their child meeting me. LAst night I was also surrounded by about 20 Punjabi youths ouside the temple, all asking me questions about England, mainly to do with girls and cricket, and then wanting me to come and stay at their house and party with them when they heard I was going to spend the night in the temple dorm. Sounds a bit suspect when I write it doen, but they were all really nice, again will put a picture on when I can. It's like being a celebrity, except that no-one knows your name (or can pronounce it).


Went to the India/Pakistan border closing ceremony last night, was really good fun, hundreds of people watching from the stands, lots of cheering, flag waving and theatrical marching and stamping by the soldiers. Even managed to sit in the VIP area! Still a bit too far away for decent photos though, its a really strange specticle given the political tensions between the two countries.


Epilogue

Which takes us up to today. Not much has happened today really, slept for absolutely ages on a bed that was really just a blanket on a raised piece of wood, had some breakfast and then struggled to find a working internet cafe. This actually didn't take that long, so have an hour to kill unitl its time to get the train. Could just ramble on like this for a bit... no, you've read enough already, although there's probablt a lot of stuff I've forgotten. Did you know in Tibet they put butter in their tea? It's not very nice.

Take care everybody, bye for now.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi Simon, You are still having a great time and I'm really enjoying the travlers tales, maybe you should become an English teacher during the day and open a Indian takeaway in the evening I'll be your first customer if your cooking the above. Keep having fun and enjoy yourself. Love XXX

  julie Oct 4, 2007 12:15 AM

2

ooh maybe i should have looked at this site a bit earlier.. very interesting sy-moan xxx

  amber Oct 6, 2007 9:30 PM

3

Way to go Sy,
There can't be anything finer than some of the exclusive views youv'e had.
Just back from 2 days wine tasting in France so i am a bit wrecked. I can still drink with you young uns.
Keep on trekkin
Binners

  Paul Oct 8, 2007 1:49 AM

About sronb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.