Existing Member?

Trip of a Lifetime I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within. ~Lillian Smith

Local bus to Otavalo

ECUADOR | Thursday, 21 February 2008 | Views [1268]

Sheep being herded past my hotel to the village of Agato

Sheep being herded past my hotel to the village of Agato

I said goodbye to my Galapagos group and was once again on my own.  First stop, a camera shop!  They were able to fix it!  It cost about 1/3 the price of my camera but since I had only had the camera for 14 days, I gladly paid it.  My plan was to take the local bus about 100 km North to Otavalo.  It cost $2.50 for the ride and there were only 6 people on the bus.  We then proceeded to stop at every corner, while the assisast yelled, Otavalo, Otavalo.  By the time time we left Quito, the bus was almost full.  Theý charge a 20 cent gate fee so the locals wait outside the station so they don´t have to pay it.  It was a new experience for me and I was the only tourist (white person) for the 3 hour ride.  They kept stopping and picking up and dropping people all along the way.  Also, whenever we came into a town, someone would jump on and try to sell anything from chips, to candy, to jewelry, grapes, sunglasses, and homemade goods. It was fun to people watch, there were locals in their business clothes to indigenas people in their traditional clothes with children strapped to their backs.  When I arrived, I wanted to find a market to get some snacks so I just started walking around. There were whole chickens lying on tables, slabs of meat hanging in shop windows.  What a transition from Quito.  I had no idea where I was going and must have stuck out with my big backpack.  I had found market, when a guy from New York came in to make sure I was okay.  He said I looked lost, I´m sure I did.  Again, people have been very nice.  I took a taxi to my hotel and it was $3 because it was up the hill.  Amazing you can go, 100 km for $2.50 and spend more than that just for a 10 minute ride. 

I stayed at La Casa Sol and it was absolutely beautiful!  Views of the city below, all the rooms had separate entrances from courtyards and gardens.  It was so nice and the cost included breakfast and a 3 course dinner each night for $30.  Well worth the splurge for a few days. 

 

Tags: sightseeing

About sregevig


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.