Existing Member?

Cultures in your Tongue

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

I go places in order to enjoy the scenery, learn people’s life, their cultures and of course, taste different food.
I use the most practical and simple method, the local cuisine, to understand the cultures when it is not possible to take a full-fledged lesson on cultures.
In many countries even the utensils used while eating have great cultural significances.

Here are two different cuisines to understand the cultures.

While traveling places like India one can experience strong, rich and spicy tastes of curries. India cultivates so much spices, as a result much spicy, tangy food in the menu and in the temporary food stands. It used to be ruled over by great emperor and Maharajas, their food and eating habits were legendary. Such a tradition has well carried down, foods from the ancient royal menu such as Biryani, Chicken Malasa, Tandoori and pickles have become trademarks. Food coloring is another attraction. Every food item is decorated according to its cultural or religious meanings. In some cultures foods are prepared in imaginary-favorites of deities. Economically conscious group rely on simpler foods like chapattis, lentil and curry.
Sweets and dairy products are never to be forgotten. Sharp tastes and distinctive flavors of Indian cuisine is self explanatory on its cultures.
Tibetan cuisine is a big contrast. Being a semi-desert vast flatland, it has very little crops to grow and the people are nomads. They keep big herds of animals and move from place to place. Meat and dairy products are the food supplement in Tibet. There is no firewood or fuel to make fire, as a result nomads eat raw meat dried in the sun. In the tiny settlements they have chances of making fire by burning animal dung. Here they reward themselves with cooked food. Due to limited resources the food is prepared in a form of broth which contains every edible item available. A bowl of hot broth served in the chilly evening inside a tent made of yak’s skin, it gives a great feeling inside!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About squarefood


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.