Existing Member?

Spend Life Traveling

Sailing in the Caribbean

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES | Friday, 3 July 2015 | Views [329]

port of St Maarten, Caribbean

Here I am, just before midnight, on the lookout on a catamaran that we are sailing from St Maarten to the British Virgin Islands. A ‘delivery’ they call it in this world of sailing that’s completely new to me.

Yacht deliveries can happen for a number of reasons (new owner, owner who wants to have his yacht moved, special maintenance, etc) but in this case we, my skilled sailor friend and I, are moving this yacht because the company managing it and renting it out needs it in the BVI.

Behind me I’ve seen the bright lights of the densely populated island of St Maarten and the more subtle orange glow of the quieter island of Anguilla disappear and in the far distance I can see the lights of Tortola, one of the British Virgin Islands.

With only a gentle breeze and a comfortable Caribbean temperature it’s quite relaxing actually. Ok, I do realise that I should look out for small fishing boats that could theoretically appear out of nowhere but for now it’s just me, the stars and a luxury 40 foot catamaran…

With the sails up and this light wind we are going at a steady 8 knots, slower than your average cyclist maneuvers through traffic in Amsterdam, but at the perfect speed to enjoy pure tranquility… moving forward in this dark, moonless night as if you are the only one left on earth…

Read the full story on www.spendlifetraveling.com/sailing-in-the-caribbean-from-st-maarten-to-the-british-virgin-islands

Tags: bvi, caribbean, catamaran, expat life, sailing, st maarten, virgin islands, yacht delivery

About spendlifetraveling


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands Antilles

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.