Existing Member?

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls in the Dead of Winter

USA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [81] | Scholarship Entry

Thunderous, rushing; that’s just the crowd of people. At least that’s how I remember Niagara Falls in August when I was eight-years-old. The Falls were powerful and it was my first experience outside of the United States. I was short, timid and terrified of being separated from my family which pushed me to the back of the pack and limited my experience. Eventually all butts start to look the same. Eight-year-old me promised to be back again to experience the natural wonder in all its glory.
2014 brought one of the coldest and harshest winters of my life as far as I can remember. Everyone and everything was frozen solid. Including Niagara Falls. Eight-year-old me would have been furious. I took off work to travel from Ohio to New York, stopping at a couple of lighthouses and spotting two bald eagles along the way. Lake Erie was frozen. It was difficult to tell beach from the lake when we stopped for the lighthouses. I’d seen pictures of a man climbing the frozen waterfall and it looked worth the cold journey. Besides, anyone can see the Falls in the all their glory, but how many people can see them literally frozen in their tracks? I was excited for the bragging right on the gloomy, cloud covered day.
I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t a little disappointed to hear the rushing water as I got closer to the Falls from the American side. The sound was similar to that of a jet engine barreling down the runway. There were only a handful of others who had ventured out on the cold day, but the sound coming from Niagara Falls drowned out any attempted conversations. Pictures and videos were breathtaking, but not nearly justifying. Ice overtook the railings that are there to keep you from the water, making it dangerous to try and get close as possible to the falls. People were already slipping and falling at what should have been safe distances.
If crowds and tourists aren't your thing and feeling one with nature makes you giddy like me, winter is without a doubt the best time to visit Niagara Falls.
The most important tips would be to dress in layers. Even if it seems like an above average temperature winter day, the closer you get to Niagara Falls, the colder and wetter it gets. Boots are essential as is a bottle of water because the trek from your car to the falls and back can be a good distance. Don’t climb over the railings. Trust me. They’re icy, slippery and the last thing you want is to be the idiot who slipped into Niagara Falls in the dead of winter.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About spencerlatonia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.