Existing Member?

Mas Despacio, Por Favor Holly and Spencer´s Latin American Foray to Save the Children and the Whales

Zoom ZOOM!

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 8 February 2009 | Views [1254] | Comments [9]


Yoyoyoyo were in it. In the thicket, the briar bush, breathin in the spanish breathing out something that is almost starting to sound like real spanish. accordians and bus rides, epanadas and jungle swinging. Last post was in Taganga, we have since zipped outta the relative tranquility and are on the move. Found our way to the walled, afrikan-spanish-latino-flavored city of Cartagena. Bouganvilla Balconies, kick-ass door knockers, windy streets. Feels a lot like New Orleans really, new world port city. Cartagena was the fattest port in the New World back in its heydey. Now people rip you off at fruit stands and try to sell you drugs and hookers. I mean wow, if Holly and I didnt werent so into books and tea we could have a much different trip from what the local boys were trying to sell me (they tend to focus their sale efforts on the male). but overall, the old town is super beautiful and we spent most of the time wandering the streets and eating locals goodies. We survived the blazing heat (yes, its hot down here! no snow!) by sippin lemonade and taking dips into teal blue seas. slipped out to an island for a day trip. sooo, where are all the americans down here? we meet plenty of euros and israelis but us is so much closer and aint nobody here. too bad because, its beautiful and you actually dont get shot at everytime you leave the house like most people think (only between 3 and 4 am, but hey same goes in LA and NY). Random question, why in the hell is the caribbean so freaking salty?? ill give you a 2,000 pesos if you find out (thats a dollar).


From Cartagena we took the high-speed magnetic super train (otherwise known as little commuter bus playing incredibly violent and poorly made american thriller, action movies, such as Death Train the story of kung-fu gregorian monks strapped with uzis and rocket launchers who overcome the evil villains trying to destroy the world. great spanish practice) down to Medellin. Big-bootied Botero scultptures abound in Medellin. Crashed with Teresa, our super awesome long distance connection (dont ask how shes related) who put us up and gave us a first taste of decent wine since weve landed (p.s. we are totally spoiled by Boulder, CO and its delicious selection of local breweries, there is absolutely no good beer or wine here!). Medellin is a large, modern town complete with overland light-rail metro and public art.


So in Colombia you really dont have go in any stores to buy what you need. Everything from blow up swimming pools to batteries to used books are sold on the street in little carts around town. its crazy! you can bargain for most things. you go to a big city and the wealthy have imported eurpoean cars and then you see some guy on cart pulled by a horse selling his belts, hats, and coloring books (wtf?). huge income gap. construction is overflowing in every city- roads, infrastructure, high rises, you name it. Colombia is blowin up.

We reatreated from the big city on our way south to la Zona Cafetera. Coffe country. Big billowing skies and green rolling campesino hills. We find ourselves now in Salento at a kickass little rural hostel with a tiny kitten. (im pretty convinced holly is going to bust out said kitten about an hour into our bus ride away from here, look what i took along for the ride!) we hiked today up through a jungle to a hut serving hot chocolate and a block of cheese with humming bird feeders everywhere. so many different kinds! i guess humming birds love the cloud forest. from there we went up up away through a elvish pine forest and then descended in the land of giant palm trees (dont worry, i thought they only grew on the coast too) that jut out above the forest. so basically sick sick hike. but i must also ask, what kind of place is this? thats just too many things to be in one hike.


Although I am not a coffee drinker, I am in coffee country so I will drink some badass coffee for all of you tomorrow and let my thoughts bounce of the walls and Holly for a few hours. Watch out Salento.

We are picking up speed in hopes of meeting our homies Brad and Kira and Matty G down in Ecuador where we will power-up and combine forces of good and evil. More to come my friends, more to come indeed.


Farewell all,

Spence, el gringito

Comments

1

WikiAnswers

Q: Does the water in the Caribbean Sea have more salt than the Atlantic Ocean?

A: Yes. The disparities are from global warming and the gulf stream.

Did I win the 2,000 pesos?????
LOVE YOU!!!

  Mommio Feb 8, 2009 11:17 AM

2

Mijo--You sound miserable. When are you two going to have some fun? You're probably wanting to come home by now. - Tu padre

  Ecurb Namyenoh Feb 8, 2009 3:29 PM

3

Dude, like, Dude. Woah. Blowin my mind, taking me back. Love you guys!

  Liz Cuz Feb 9, 2009 2:04 PM

4

Trip sounds so good guys, the blog is super. Safe travels, make sure you visit the Chaco rain forest in Ecuador.

  Derek Feb 9, 2009 2:59 PM

5

Dude, WTF, I've lived in both LA and NYC. I've walked their streets all through the night. How dare you compare them to Columbia. As a matter of fact I'm out on the street right now and it's between 3:00 and 4:00am (ignore the posts timecode, worldnamds is broken) perfectly safe. Between 3:00 and 4:00am nothing going on. I've even got all my money just hanging out of my clothes. Hey wait, who's that? Probably nothing. As I was saying - Hey, what's that guy's baseball bat all about? Probably early morning softball. He's getting closer. No field around here. Oh yeah, I'm in an alley. He wants my money. He hasn't noticed the computer yet. Oh jeezus he's beating me. Oh with no mercy. None at all. Oh why is he still letting me type? He's so strong. He's got me by just one leg and is lifting me up. He has all my money and I'm flying through the air. OOF. Just landed in a dumpster. Point taken, Spencer. I apologize.
Miss you guys. Stop having fun so you'll come back sooner.
J

  Jamiedaman Feb 9, 2009 4:02 PM

6

keep up the awesome blogging! Great to be able to hear all about these crazy adventures. Btw did something happen to jamie recently? anyhoo sounds like a grand old time. looking forward to more!

  breezy Feb 10, 2009 3:39 PM

7

Hi guys? Where are you? I am still in Quito, but tomorrow I am heading to the highlands... Couldn't find you on facebook, there are hundreds of Holly Carpenter. Maybe see you again going south. CIAO
BTW, really nice blog!

  Carlo Feb 15, 2009 3:16 AM

8

Holly and Spence, am really enjoying the tales of adventure. Keep them coming.
Spence - you have been missing some awesome Flight of the Conchords numbers. They definitely made me think of you

  Tio Frodeaux Feb 17, 2009 9:21 AM

9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbIp9Tco_cU&feature=related

  Tio Frodeaux Feb 17, 2009 9:22 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.