Existing Member?

Mas Despacio, Por Favor Holly and Spencer´s Latin American Foray to Save the Children and the Whales

Bogota - where meal times just ain't right.

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 22 January 2009 | Views [1217] | Comments [4]

Hola amigos. Estamos Spencer y Holly, en la grande adventura de nos vidas! Hopefully our spanish will improve throughout this trip... for now, the entries will be in english, so that our friends and family have a faint hope of understanding what we are talking about.

First off, we are actually here. After months of planning (which basically consisted of many "we should probably buy tickets... yeah" and one frantic night of packing... we arrived in Bogota on Jan. 19, 2009. Under strict instructions, we took a taxi to the gracious and welcoming home of Spencer's cousin's cousin's cousin, Claudia. She has been our madre de Colombia ever since... assuring us that the fruit that looks like monkey brains is actually delicioso, and showing us her family farm outside of town, and navigating the unreal Bogota traffic to take us to the major highlights - the salt cathedral (see photos) and the central part of old Bogota, with much history and a seriously incredible Museo de Oro. Mostly, we have been eating... desayuno a casa, y almuerzo a las quatro horas! We have tried mas carne then we ate in a month at home... and its all pretty damn good. Today I got a salad, and I think I might have offended everyone in the vicinity.

Before this gets ridiculously long... we are headed out of Bogota tomorrow (see map) to Villa de Leyva, a little colonial pueblo en route to el Norte Costa (Carribbean coast). We'll let you all know how that goes.

Love!

Comments

1

We miss you guys, glad you to hear you are licking salt!!!.. I'm planning the next quest, so get ready. Did you get my first???. thanks for the updates. Peace

  Christophari Jan 22, 2009 3:11 PM

2

I love you guys!!! I wish I were traveling the world like you two right now... don't forget to find a cool chess piece for me. Peace!

  MJ Jan 23, 2009 4:59 AM

3

So glad you hooked upn with family for the start of your trip!!! Villa de Leiva sounds awesome -- can't wait to see photos. Gros bisous!

  Ta maman Jan 24, 2009 5:43 AM

4

Happy Valentines Day (I hope you had). Am loving reading of all your adventures though I'm so jealous because I wanted to go to So. America long before Europe. Keep healthy, both of you, and keep writing. Love.

  Grandma Jodie Feb 15, 2009 9:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.