Existing Member?

Wanderlust - a leggy adventure!

Calgaaaaary - road tripping!

CANADA | Saturday, 15 July 2017 | Views [439]

ROAD TRIP!! WOOOOOOOOO yeah! One of my all time favourite things to do! After very little deliberation I had made up my mind. I was going to Calgary. Melanie had convinced me it'll be worth the trip & I wanted to experience the "World's GREATEST outdoor show on earth" 

So we got a crew together & decided to go to Calgary for ythe stampede. Marek, Ana, Vanessa (Nessy), Nicholas (Nuc) & me! Althoguh the logistics were a little iffy leading up to our departure we finally got our act to gether & were on the road. Thankfully Rob (the real McCaw was nice enough to lend us his beast of a car)

It would be my first time in Calgary; not only that but we'd be also driving on the opposite side of the road to even make it there.

Sketchy at first but we all soon got the hang of it! To be honest I wouldn't have thought I'd be game enough as it's been aver 6 years since I drove in the USA. 

Calgary Stampede: Cowboys & Cows!

Highlights:

*A cheeky beverage under a random bridge before heading into the venue itself. 

*Saw my first real rodeo in Real Life and not on TV!! Thrilling! So much skill & commitment. 
*Made a right fool of myself line dancing, also showed off my own moves later that night at Nashville Tent, some of the main moves include some old  classics. The sprinkler, lawn mower, fishing duet and shaking jellyfish much to the surprise of most of the Calgaraians on the dance floor.  Haha!

Throughtout the day I worked out a system for spotting a 'REAL' Cowboy from the want-a-bees! So many 'fake' cowboys. 

Firstly the hat was a big give a way. It had to be authentic, along with the boots & belt (usually a trophy championship belt). Secondly they had to be wearing a checked/Flannelette shirt ticked into their jeans exposing their belt. If the shoes were scuffed & well worn then we'd found ourselves a REAL Cowboy. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed, from the hords of people, cowboys & the like I only found 3 handsome cowboys I'd like to have a spin with on the dance floor! haha! Not to worry. I could still find a ruggeredly handsome (intelligent) Lumberjack! 

Having experienced the Stampede for myself I can highly recommend it to anyone. Only word of warning - take LOTS of money with you. It's not  cheap!

On our way home we decided to make a small detour via Lake Louise & Banff! Simply stunning! I can see why thousands & thousands flock to Banff National Park to see the gorgeous hues of Lake Louise! 

Wildlife sightings: 0 

Farm animals - in abundance!!

 

Tags: on the road, road trip, tourist for the day

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.