Existing Member?

Gone Walkabout

Addis Ababa

ETHIOPIA | Thursday, 26 June 2008 | Views [647]

Argh!! The writing in Addis was all wiped. bugger.

Internet access is a little limited. When we arrived we were supposed to be meeting the family of a kid that was in my class this year. Not to be I'm afraid. Nobody was there waiting for us so had to quickly make a plan B! Ended up staying at a hotel by the airport that actually wasn't half bad. $50 a night. My standard of hotel is going to drop a bit when dad leaves, so am enjoying the hot water while it lasts! In Addis Ababa we mainly did a bit of admin stuff: booking flights, changing money... useful, but not too exciting.

We did hire a driver with a taxi for the day: $30 to enjoy the comforts of a soviet era Lada. It was great, this guy drove us around (often in circles) to our hearts content. We checked out the UN regional hq for africa and saw this amazing stained glass window (one of the biggest in the world). Also went to visit the Holy Trinity Cathedral where Haile Selassie sits in a big granite mausoleum.

We ended the day drinking beer overlooking the Piazza (a lot nicer sounding than it really is!) talking to a guy that works for an Irish NGO.

Hopefully, this post actually goes through cause I'm not writing it again!!

Tags: addis ababa

About sophietyro


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.