Existing Member?

Soph's journal

Cuba Libre

CUBA | Thursday, 12 November 2009 | Views [511] | Comments [1]

Cuba has been getting a fair bit of attention in the media recently, and most of it is negative, related to an oppressive political regime that is severely restricting the freedoms of the Cuban people, particularly when it comes to the press. The transition of Fidel Castro out of office did not bring about the kinds of changes that were expected, which is not all that surprising when you consider that his successor is his brother Raúl. Compared to its neighbour, the capitalist USA, Cuba provides an incredibly intriguing example of a surviving communist regime. So when I decided to take a spontaneous trip to Cuba with some fellow Aussies, who were like me doing university exchanges in Mexico, I didn’t have a much of an idea of what to expect. What I found was one of the most valuable and surprising travel experiences I have ever had.

Cuba has so much to offer to the open-minded traveler, precisely because the way that Cuba caters to tourists (an important part of their national economy) is quite different to most countries. As a group of young students between the ages of 20 and 23 we weren’t looking to stay in five star hotels, but there is no youth hostel network in Cuba. There is, however, a more informal accommodation network, made up of “casas particulares”. For around $10-15 a night, many Cubans provide a room in their house for tourists, usually offering breakfast and dinner as included or additional extras. This is a huge change from standard backpacking – instead of meeting other travelers from around the world, you’re meeting the locals. You eat real Cuban food, sleep in their homes and rock in their rocking chairs. If you can speak Spanish, it is an incredible opportunity for insight into the psyche of a culture so different to the dominant capitalist ideology.

We'd been told to take cash over as the ATM networks were unreliable or unavailable or both. There are two currencies in Cuba, one for tourists and one for locals. It gets confusing, and it means that Cuba can be either very expensive or very cheap, depending on how good you are at getting off the beaten track, and how well you can pick the people trying to rip you off. The internet is expensive and internet cafes are few and far between in Habana, which means they are virtually non-existent in the smaller places. Another huge difference in our travel experience; all of a sudden we were off the web.

Habana first appeared to me kind of like a city in a futuristic sci-fi movie; deserted by its original inhabitants and reoccupied by "survivors". This leap of the imagination was prompted by the deteriorating state of the once impressive colonial buildings, a disrepair that is the simple result of little to no restoration since the 1950s. At night, the city is dark and poorly lit, with very few cars on the streets, yet many young people wander in groups, or linger in doorways. There is a significant police presence, and the constant patrolling of the streets has contributed to making Habana a very safe city, in spite of its somewhat tatty appearances. One of my hosts later expresses to me her appreciation for this safety, that she feels it is undervalued by other cultures. She has a point – there are not many urban inner-city environments in the world where it is normal and perfectly safe for 8 year old children to wander unaccompanied to and from school or play.

Habana is a city that offers up a feast for the eyes. Vintage American cars are all of a sudden commonplace, people line up for icecream in the street and wait in lines for pretty much everything you need to buy. Reminders of the revolution are everywhere - while the lack of commercial advertising is obvious to the Western tourist, the government advertises one thing - the revolution. It is more than a part of history - Castro's revolution is part of modern day Cuba.

Tags: casas particulares, cuba, habana

Comments

1

Fabulous story! I've been to Cuba myself and loved every minute of it! It's a beautiful country with really lovely people. Viva Cuba!

You should check out my Cuba stories

  kiwiaoraki Aug 22, 2010 10:52 AM

About sophalina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.