Existing Member?

Round the world trip

New Zealand

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 26 February 2008 | Views [701] | Comments [5]

We've been away for 5 weeks today and already managed to do so much.  We added exploring the island on a scooter (& doing a driving test); getting dressed up for a Maori island night; and learning how to husk a coconut to our highlights from Rarotonga.

We're in New Zealand now and although we've had a few mishaps, we're really loving it.  Wet weather meant we only passed through the Bay of Islands, but we've had sunshine ever since.  The North Island is stunning, there are non-stop photo opportunities; we visited a forest of Kairi trees where one was 51m tall, 4m diameter and 2000 years old - the tallest tree in the Southern Hemisphere!  We went to the top of the Sky Tower in Auckland & watched the abseilers freefalling to the ground (crazy people), then we had headed to Rotorua & slid down a hill in a giant hamster ball filled with water (zorbing) - great fun!  Rotorua is very smelly because of the thermal activity in the region & and steam & bubbling pools of mud all around - they look pretty cool though.

Continuing with the volcanoes we went to Taupo & Tongariro next, then to Mt. Ruapehu (the tallest & most recently active volcano - last year), which sits next to Mt. Ngauruhoe (Mount Doom from LOTR), and Mt. Tongariro.  For Mike's birthday we took a scenic flight over all three; they were magnificent, we were able to look right into the craters at the top!  We had a lovely meal out for Mike's Birthday - a welcome change to cooking on the campervan stove.

Our last stop in the North Island was Wellington - we preferred it to Auckland, it's a more compact city with more character.  Our trip to the zoo was excellent, seeing Kangaroos and a Kiwi for the first time, and the giraffes and chimps came really close.

We took our ferry to the South Island this morning and are excited as we've heard it's even better than the North!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

So you had the courage to go zorbing then Soph - i don't believe it!! wow sounds like you had a better trip to the zoo than Cameron!!!

Glad you're having a good time and managing to fit lots in

hope you have a great time on the South Island - we look forward to hearing more of your adventures

love you and miss you xxxx

  Laura, Cameron, Mum and Freddie Feb 26, 2008 9:27 PM

2

You sound like your having an awsome time! I wonder if your coconut husking was more successful than my BVI attempt. I'm so jealous and wish I could do it all again!!

Mike did you find the crazy seat?!

Enjoy the rest of the holiday guys, I really enjoy reading these reports, keep em coming!!

Chris x

  Chris Feb 29, 2008 8:38 PM

3

Hi Soph & Mike, Great to hear about your wonderful adventures, I am so pleased that you have your memory card back. The zorbing sounds like great fun. You two should write a novel when you return!

Loads of love to you both, can't wait to see you again!
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sara, Baz, David & Chloe Mar 12, 2008 1:18 AM

4

Sounds like you're both having such a fantastic time! Can't believe you did the hamster ball things, scary! Hehe, no mahewsive abseiling for you Soph?! :P
Can't wait to see all the photos n bet that was one hell of a memorable brithday for you Mike!
Enjoy the south island!
So great to hear from you.. can't wait to read more!
Miss you lots! xxx.

  Beth Mar 14, 2008 7:07 AM

5

So pleased you are having the time of your lives.

The hampster ride sounds fun, and glad you flew over the crators for Mike's birthday, what a buzz!

Hope you are loving South Island, and as good as you expected.

Keep having a great time.

Lots of love
Jill, Colin and Auntie Barb
xxx

  Jill and Colin Mar 17, 2008 1:14 AM

About soph804


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.