Existing Member?

Fun Strangers

Stranger in Caper Town

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 3 May 2014 | Views [194] | Scholarship Entry

‘The Mother City’ is commonly spoken of as one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Now, this is not to say that I’ve ventured to that many cities, but I instinctively agree with that statement. All this insight comes from the memories made the first time I travelled there with my brother. What’s most remarkable about it is that we took the scenic route! We went to Durban first, and spent the next four days travelling from east to west along the coast.

We reach Plettenberg Bay, home to some of the most pristine beaches in SA. A simple turn to the left would have you admiring the beautiful ocean-wide view. To the right lay acres of enormous mountains that covered themselves with the greenest trees you've ever seen, creating a wonderful contrast with the clear blue sky.
We stopped at a small seafood restaurant situated right next to the beach. And although I had spent the better part of that week road-tripping along the coast, it only dawned on me there and then that I had not spent a single second enjoying it! So I ran straight for the water with the playfulness of a young child. That ‘seaside serenity’ kicked in right away.

I returned to enjoy some seafood. Being in a coastal city, I wondered if parts of my meal had been ‘alive and swimming’ just minutes earlier, but I quickly let that thought slide. After all, curiosity killed the catfish I was about to eat. An hour passed and we had to leave; a 600KM drive to Cape Town still lay ahead.

A maniacal, hoarse and evil laugh blared out the car's speakers, just as the laugher lost his breath a much sweeter voice came in singing “Feel good” right before a mean bass line kicked in so well it made the seats vibrate! That song, ‘Feel Good Inc.’ by the Gorillaz can really set the mood. We arrived at our destination at 9PM, which is when I made a call to Aaron Baker, a friend of mine who had moved to Cape Town from Johannesburg a year ago. He suggested that we go to Long Street, the most happening and popular stretch of concrete in the whole ‘jungle.’ A place for fun!

Conveniently, we were staying on that very same road so I started there to freshen up. The lady at the reception was a witty, fare-skinned young woman with dark, curly hair; she had piercings and tattoos, as well as a black Metallica T-shirt on. Surprising, she also had two pet rats that she kept in a cage right on her table. Yes, she was a bit of an oddball but she was very accommodating. She smiled and said "Welcome to the Mother City."

.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About soniqonline


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.