Existing Member?

Girl on the Run

Waiting week

USA | Monday, 6 April 2015 | Views [240]

This has been the longest week of my life. I have vacillated between joy, anticipation and sheer terror! The days have been good; filled with planning, studying, and packing; the nights brimming with anxiety, sleeplessness and migraines. What am I doing launching myself into a month long solo overseas adventure for the first time at 53? Truth be told I had wanted to do this decades ago before the weight gain, knee brace, and the acute awareness of my mortality set in. A year ago I decided I couldn't wait anymore and I began to slay the dragons between me and my adventure. Mostly, Rick Steves is to blame. It was he who convinced me that it was all possible without breaking the bank. I read his book, "Europe through the Back Door", and the seed was planted. True to form I became obsessive in my planning. Roger commented that I appeared to be studying for the bar exam! All of that has led to today. My one carryon bag is packed, my emergency money squirreled away, reservations made and reconfirmed, train tickets bought, guidebook torn apart and bundled!

I wasn't prepared for the sense that I am already missing my family. At first three and a half weeks didn't seem like enough time, now it seems like an eternity! I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I will be on the go, flying, sitting in an airport, shuttling to a train station, riding a train and trekking to my first hotel until tomorrow evening! Somehow it will happen. Gotta wrap this up, time to head for the airport! I'll let you know how it works out! For now I am a "Girl on the Run!"

 

Tags: adventure, italy, middle age, overseas, travel

About songbirdsears


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.