Existing Member?

Gypsy

My country, my pride

INDIA | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [116] | Scholarship Entry

The word- travel works like magic with me. Well, quite honestly enough whenever I would have the liberty of choosing the destination for our next holiday, I would instantly start looking for options across our national borders. I would not say that I was foolish but to some degree I was underestimating the massive potential stored within my own country.

Not to miss one standard destination which we would hit no matter what, one of the most frequented hill stations of India-Mussoorie was a top favourite with all living generations of my family. What is further overwhelming is the fact that in the these twenty five years of my existence, our hotel, choice of restaurants and things to do have been pretty much set. But each time one has enjoyed the same things with a fresher zeal. I am glad that these trips happened without fail as at one stage we would oppose to the routine but now one have been left with the most beautiful memories especially indulging in the most tempting masala omelette at Lovely Omelette Centre, the best waffles at a modest joints in Chaar Dukaan, the mouth-watering poori-bhaji at Green restaurant and so much more. Having lost my paternal grand father few years back and my father and paternal uncle last year- the travel tips learnt from them stay afresh.

I think I am going to love the hills even more, as each time I will visit them- the beautiful memories with them would rekindle.

Sometimes it is the not so fancy things which make all the difference, these holidays would be simple infact very simple. But the joy of spending it with your closed ones is what makes all the difference.

Today, I am a grown up girl and get to stay in some of the most fancy places across the world, thanks to my job but nothing matches the endless laughter with my cousins over seeing each other trip while skating during our family vacations or the joy of street shopping at the Tibetan market where bargaining was rather entertaining.

Honestly, it are these humble beginnings which set you for the World. These experiences where you for the first time went alone to a shop two minutes away from your hotel to buy a chocolate that give you the courage to take on the journey of life alone.

Lastly, can't express enough gratitude to my country for being so beautiful as these magical hills are just one of its many beautiful offerings. If it were not for them, I would have been a girl less rich as I would have had lesser memories with my most prized people.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sonalivij2011


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.