Existing Member?

The "Hottest" Thailand

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

In July 2011, I went to Thailand with my friends to joining International Competition in Pattaya-Thailand.
When first night we got, we found the restaurant, we finally see the display of food from behind the glass and started to order food, there is also poorer food made from pork that presented, so different from Indonesia are rare serves pork in the restaurant. But in Thailand, people are free and don’t hesitate to sell that.
When we eat, there are still a bit scared when eating these foods, because it smells a bit strange, very strong flavor and spicy cuisine, oily also, but we can accept that food.
For a few days on there, I found many more dishes of pork, even instant noodles with pork flavor sold on supermarket. I was very surprised because it had never come across this in Indonesia.
When I have a chance to take a look the town. I can order and choose every food I want. On that place I can eat Indonesian food. and start to thinking about correlation between food and culture.
Thailand is a country with Buddhism people as a majority, so they don’t have a problem to eat the pork, but most of them ignore to eat every food made from cows. Because of that, Thailand also have influence from India in a spicy taste.
This difference is caused among Indonesia and Thailand has the particularly of each in terms of culture and food, because it must be admitted, it couldn’t be separated.
On the other night I try to ordering food from insect and fried flavor, while still raw, that’s very scary, but when I eat them, it wasn’t that bad, it feels a lot like fried shrimp.
I think is all is an exciting culinary experience, that every country has its own unique distinctive country.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About somethingamazing


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.