Existing Member?

Run the World

Kathmandu

NEPAL | Thursday, 18 May 2017 | Views [1085] | Comments [3]

After a 16 hour flight, 4 consecutive Harry potter movies, a 5 hour layover without wifi and another 5 hour flight I finally made it to Kathmandu, Nepal last night. The hostel, hotel mums home is super cozy and has a great view of the concrete wall next door ;) BUT its clean and the people are so friendly! This morning I went over to the trekking agency to fill out paperwork for the adventure into the Himalayas-the guide showed up at the hostel on a motorcycle and just said "hop on!" so there I was motoring through the streets of a city I've never seen with a guy I have yet to have a full conversation with swirving around potholes, people and baskets of fruit. took a tour around the temples after learning about hinduism, Buddhism and the history of Kathmandu. I ended the day by exploring Thamel, a colorful collection of vendors, restaurants, hotels, shoppers, backpackers and kids meandering along the streets. I stopped at Fen's Kitchen and enjoyed grilled tofu and ginger tea before calling it a night. And here I am finally getting the blog up and running!

You may not be hearing from me for a while cause I am heading out on a 13 day trek to a peak called Gokyo Ri but I'll attempt to keep in touch as much as possible!

And for those of you who are daunted by reading a whole paragraph here's the short version:

highlights-learning about Nepalese culture and religion, hanging with some monkeys at one of the temples, dinner

lowlight-realizing I am not immune to getting lost and should  share my dinners with a nice book until I find more company (don't worry it will happen)

what's next? Gokyo Ri and Renjo la pass and then more day in the city, gotta go to the rum doodle bar to meet some of the Everest hikers!

 

thanks for keeping up with me :) pictures on the way once i get back from the trek

 

Comments

1

Your comments are so explicit... I feel as if I am with you...I look forward to reading many more.
I love you,
BABOO

  Barbara Davis May 18, 2017 10:43 AM

2

Your comments are so explicit... I feel as if I am with you...I look forward to reading many more.
I love you,
BABOO

  Barbara Davis May 18, 2017 10:43 AM

3

Alex, I am enjoying following your blogs, keep it up! I am traveling myself, but nothing as exciting as your trek.

  Christos Cassandras Jun 3, 2017 7:04 PM

About solorunner


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.