Existing Member?

Asia Meanderings My meanderings in South East Asia.

The Exploratory Trip

THAILAND | Tuesday, 22 April 2008 | Views [417]

Preamble

For the past two and a half years, I have been working in Thailand. It's been fun - a military coupe, 6.1 earthquake, not to mention at least three floods.

But all good things come to an end and my contract was no exception. Unfortunately my visa and work permit, linked to the job, expired at the same time. From the beginning of 2007, new visa regulations came into force in Thailand which restricts the number of days tourists can stay in the country. This gives me two choices. Return to my home country and acquire a new business visa or head to pastures new.

It's not a difficult choice - I really have no interest in returning home just yet. Add to decision making process the feeling I'm currently in a rut, doing the same things day after day, the thought of exploring a new country has really fired up the wanderlust once again. Cambodia is the natural choice, being Thailand's eastern neighbour. Getting the necessary visa is straight forward and something I can do on the border.

Getting there can be done two ways, flying or going overland. Since true adventurers never fly unless there is no means of getting soemwhere, my plan is to go by train, bus, minvan, motorbike and by sea. It will take longer. Great, an opportunity to meet the locals and others on the road, take a few photos and get a feel of the country and culture around me.

Though I have a rough plan of action, much of the journey will be arranged "on the ground". My starting point is Chaing Mai, my planned destination is Sihanoukville. The bits inbetween are fluid and make up the main narrative.

The outbound leg.

There is a great train service which leaves Chang Mai every evening, bound for Bangkok.

Tags: on the road

About solo_rhodes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.