Existing Member?

Solitary Travels

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - The Pigeon Doctors of Delhi

INDIA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [563] | Scholarship Entry

The intensive care ward stands in perfect silence, except for the occasional cooing of a patient. Dr. Ashish Singh is busy – head bent at work, he moves from patient to patient administering them their daily dose of food, medicines and vitamins. On the other side of the room is the general ward, which too is quiet, but for the twitter of a recuperating inmate.
Cooing of patients? Twitter? This hospital seems unusual – and it indeed is. Not just unusual but also special. Charity Birds Hospital, standing tall across the majestic Red Fort in Delhi, treats unusual patients – the birds, more specifically, the pigeons and the parrots.
No big deal, you would say. In a world more concerned about the dwindling number of exotic animals, who has the time or the inclination to worry about commonplace pigeons, parrots, and sparrows? But here, in this hospital, are a few people whose lives are dedicated to pigeons and the other household birds which they take care of. In a world obsessed with 5 seconds of fame, here is a bunch that goes about treating birds with same meticulous care that they would give to humans.
Whether caught in a twirling fan or hurt by the claws of a predator, every bird admitted here is treated with utmost compassion. Compassion – isn’t that what we all need and want - us humans and them animals? Just as I muse about compassion, a patient is hurriedly rushed in – a white pigeon with half its beak missing, and the left wing torn apart. The doctors get down to work immediately, on a portable operation stand with all the necessities in place – ointments, dressings bandages, pain killers – they mean business here.
Once the birds recover, a section of the roof is opened to allow them to fly off. While silence reigns inside the hospital, its terrace is a witness to maddening frenzy, with many recovered birds preferring to hang around here – a place that bestowed such kindness on them. They hover around - flying overhead, sitting on specially erected bird fountains, and yes, also bent over the many huge bowls of grains, looking quite at home.
As I leave the hospital, a beautiful mural on one wall reinforces the display of selfless service just witnessed. The mural shows Sikh saint Guru Nanak Dev preaching the lesson of love for all living things. The artwork reads – Ramji ki chidiya, Ramji ke Khet, chidiyaaon khaao bhar bhar pet.
Dear birds, this food and you,
All belong to God
So have your fill.
Yes sir, point taken. Point on kindness and compassion.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About solitaryreaperwrites


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.