Existing Member?

Film School in India

Left Hand

INDIA | Friday, 28 July 2006 | Views [2774] | Comments [6]

Whatever I thought I knew about India seems to be irrevelent, backwards, and maybe even misled. After three weeks here I am still mystified by the duty of the left hand. I had the image in my mind that you always eat with your right hand and use it for the occasional shaking of hands. The left hand was meant to be kept as the sacred wiper of the anus. So if this is true why do all my colleagues keep offering me their right or left hand to shake, at any angle, at any location, even in the restroom? What is going on? Am I shaking dirty hands? Do people use toilet paper? I have not figured out this mystery. And I have been keenly observing people's eating strategies. Unless my vision is skewed, I have seen people eating with both hands. I suppose I should ask one of my friends to explain this phenomen to me, because learning by trial and error is rather ridiculous.

Some toilets have toilet paper, most do not (our hostel does not). So what to do? At the hostel I have managed to time my bathroom visits with a shower. That way I am sure to clean with soap and leave clean and pure. I haven't figure out how to use the little container and water near the toilet. It's probably a simple matter but at this point I have settled for a post toilet shower.

As for the toilets away from the hostel and wihtout the full shower option...I have experimented with the hose method. There is a tube connected to a water source and at the spout end is a metal nozzle shaped like an L. One day I thought, "What the hell...who needs toilet paper when you can clean yourself with a spout of water." I placed the tube in what I thought was the right place, and turned on the faucet. The pressure and volume of water caught me by surprise. My angle was not right and the water came jetting up and out, not cleaning my anus, but rather shooting all over the bathroom stalls through my legs. Fortunately there was some toilet paper and I was able to complete the job in a familiar manner. My next visit to the same toilet proved much more successfull and I felt the joy of water aimed correctly and had no need for paper. And my left hand remained clean! Except for the millions of germs of course that I touch everyday. Washing my hands has become the most important thing I do, especially after typing on this cyber cafe keyboard. How many Indians use their left hand for both cleaning their anus and typing? I'm scared to answer this question. I will, however, update you when I fully discover the mysteries of the Left Hand. Until then, I will continue experimenting with hoses, showers, toilet paper and cringe when my colleagues offer me a left handed shake.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

yes you raised a very good point. the ongoing mystery of the left hand...
its just a country full of mysteries ay :) and i love it!

  brentoc Jul 30, 2006 1:27 AM

2

That is some funny shit pete! No pun intended. If someone offers you the left give them the left in return, or a foot, and test the reaction. I can't imagine the hand is all that good at removing more than the low hangers. Why not pack some paper? Once you got the hang of the hose, that sounded kinda nice. Maybe you could find a friend to do that for you.

Trav

  Travis Sep 29, 2006 2:14 AM

3

Hmm, is tp expensive there, or will the toilets/sewage just not deal with it? Any of those soft nature leafs laying around? What do parents do with pampers? Solve that and the whole mystery is undone!
-Z

  Alex Sep 29, 2006 2:17 PM

4

This my first time out of the very sheltered USA. Packing TP was the last of my concerns as I did not know it would be rare in these parts of India. I still refuse to use my left hand. There is no hose...just a bucket of water. They dip their hand in the bucket...wipe...dip hand...wipe...I can't get my mind around this and as cultured as I would like to be, I will not be able to follow this practice. I will use newspaper...magazine pages...notebook paper before I could ever use my hand.

It's an insult to use your left hand for anything other than wiping here. I am left handed and was writing something down for someone and the pen has been sitting there for days. No one will touch it...I'm gonna see how long it will sit there.

  Andy Jan 24, 2009 3:16 PM

5

i need to u to a comprehensive brochure for d next 2011 section nd d school fees

  nniga collins Jan 24, 2010 5:35 AM

6

hello i am mastur cheef lololololololol
my rofl knief goes sliec sliec sliec
the rofl knief demands blood. see lissen. "blood plz kthx"
time to dai tood
time to dai

  Mastur Cheef Lololol Jul 12, 2011 6:00 PM

About solareyes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.