Existing Member?

SokoCat-My life in Korea Hi, I'm Cat currently living and working in South Korea. Having just finished university I was warned by my friends that 'real life' would take about a year to start. I therefore decided I would do something different, travel and see the world.

They eat Waygookens don't they?

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 15 June 2010 | Views [826]

When you're a child one of the first lessons that you learn, along with don't lick power sockets or play in the road is that it is rude to stare. This does not, however, appear to apply if you are a westerner living in Korea. Small children and older peopple are the worst culprits. They make no secret of it, or effort to hide their stares.

 The children have more of an excuse. They have probably have little contact with foreigners and we are a novelty. My mother delights in telling the story of the first time I saw a black person on TV and referred to him as 'the chocolate man' ...from the mouths of babes

 But once you reach a certain age you should realise that people come in all different sizes; white, black, asian, big, small and a lot of things inbetween.  As luck would have it, I am neither blonde nor tall and thin. This serves to avert many of the stares. Perhaps it makes me appear more approachable though? as if ever a middle aged Korean man has a few English words to his name he believes I am entitled to hear them. They are usually 'How long in Korea?' 'how long you stay?' 'where are you from?' or, more worryingly 'Boyfriend?' whilsy gensturing at any random male you happen to be in the vicinty of.

 For the record I have found that the best reaction to the staring is to either say hello in an over enthusiastic friendly way...or cocking your head to one side and staring right back.

About sokocat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.