Existing Member?

Adventures of faith!

Adventurous leaps of faith!

GERMANY | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [91] | Scholarship Entry

Leaving Krakow after only four days of touring, I felt a deep sense of belonging to this place I had not known existed a mere month ago. I packed my bag to prepare for my next adventure to Bochum, Germany, hoping I would return someday. My departure flight was booked costing only 25 euros with a catch of only 1 bag no more than 10 Kilograms. I stuffed my backpack with everything I needed in order to survive a week in another foreign place. This cheap flight proved its worth by disrupting my nap: multiple announcements, flight attendants like hawkers selling snacks in the narrow aisle, and turbulence to die for relieved with laughter along with the stranger next to me at the thought that it was nearly our time.

On arrival, I sought my host whom I’ve never met. He kindly accepted my desperate couch surfing request. I graciously overlooked my friend’s refusal to stay with him after seeing his profile picture. I decided to take the leap of faith as my intuition assured me, “It will be OK”! As I slowly recognized his, I realized why anyone would be afraid to stay at his abode. His demeanor seems cold and angry, an untrimmed beard, piercings, tattoos and an enormous physique. Funny enough, there was no ounce of fear within me. I approached him hesitantly. We introduced ourselves to each other and it was not long before I realized that he genuinely has a kind heart. He eagerly showed me around town, and the easiest route to get to the university. He generously offered something to eat, entrusted me with his flat key, and helped me with my German pronunciations. I was genuinely amazed with the trust he placed in me – a mutual stranger.

Traveling to my next destination soon became more interesting. While figuring my way around the complex train system, I missed my train from Germany to Austria by just a few minutes. I’ll never forget the day I was stuck in a Germany with little cash and no place to stay. I felt so lost and vulnerable yet knew it’ll still be OK. I described my hopeless case to a German information officer who had a stern expression on his face. He didn’t say much and reluctantly printed a new itinerary. Off I went hoping I would not be fined for the new train route I did not pay for. Nervous as the train conductors checked my ticket, I explained my situation and to my relief, they allowed me to stay without charging any fines. I realized I just need keep the faith! Everything will be OK!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sojournerl


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.