Existing Member?

Hit the road, girl.

La historia Mexicana

MEXICO | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [143] | Scholarship Entry

Hm. I guess that was the first though which appeared in my head when I decided to go to Mexico, and of course I will never forget that day. Ok, short pre story first. My name is Sofia, I am from Ukraine, and I've got a pretty nice chance to study abroad for the whole year. And that lucky country that had me for the whole year was the USA. I've started planning my winter break before the first class I had in Nebraska Wesleyan University (hopefully my professors won't read this essay). At the beginning I was just thinking about traveling around the US, but after a quick scan of the map, and required documents, Mexico kind of stuck in my head. So let's start that whole travel story. December 1st. So exciting, so cool, I am going to Mexico. December 5th. It's amazing, I will soon be traveling all by myself, the whole month nobody will be bothering me, amazing. December 10th. It will be ok, don't worry, Mexico is totally safe, you' ll be just fine. December 11th. Stop worrying, you know this will be the best thing that has ever happened to you. December 12th. Oh my god, I'll be all by myself the whole month. December 13th. Alone in Mexico? Are you crazy? December 14th. The bus was headed to Chicago, I was pretty calm, and extremely excited. It appears to be, as soon you are on the road, you are not afraid anymore. You are simply 100% excited. The flight from Chicago to San Francisco was ok, and the whole week in that city of flowers, and weed was inspiring. Crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, wished something optimistic, and right from there flew to Mexico D.F. Of course before my trip every second person thought I was out of my mind, every thind person thought I would be robbed, and every fifth person thought I would be raped. But none of those things are truth (except the craziness). During two weeks of travelling in Mexico, getting from the capital to Guanajuato, from over there to Zacatecas and Guadalajara, I've met only very nice and helpful people. Of course not all the people in Mexico are so great, but I am pretty lucky, and I've met only good ones. And if I brought this up there are good and bad people everywhere, there is no need to exaggerate the situation in some mistakenly notorious places. Please, let me finish this story with one small confession: I didn't not leave my heart in San Fransisco, but I did leave my heart somewhere around those huge Mexican pyramids.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sofas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.