Existing Member?

Bobbing along

City break - Tokyo

JAPAN | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [552] | Comments [1]

On November 20th 2004, Andy, a friend from England called Nick, and I went to Tokyo. We knew someone, Nathan, who had moved there from Kyoto, so he offered us a place to stay. The four of us went on a 3-day rampage (!) around Tokyo! We had a day off Tuesday because it was a National Holiday, so after work Saturday we pegged it to Kyoto to catch the shinkansen (bullet train). I've been on it before, but it was Andy's first time (and he was like a kid in a candy store!!! He all but stuck his nose against the window!). It has a lot of space and so you can stretch out and put your seat back - luxury! It took 2 hours from Kyoto to Tokyo on the fastest bullet train (there were only 2 stops before our station). The time flew by and we arrived at 11:40pm.

Nathan met us at Shinagawa station (it's located in the central area of Tokyo, near all the places people visit). We went back to his apartment, and then set off to look for food. We were all famished as we'd worked all day and hadn't had time for dinner.

Nathan took us into Shibuya - a trendy, neon-filled mass of tall buildings and all manner of architecture, lit up by blue christmas lights on a group of trees near the station. We went to an Izakaya he'd been to before (that's just a word for a reasonably priced run-of-the-mill restaurant). We ordered pizza toast, raw tuna, scallops and shrimp, small fried shrimp, egg, fried potato, a korean style pancake and had beer to wash it all down with.

After that we went people-watching around that area. We saw people who look cooler and are more approachable than in Kyoto, but they also 'think' they are cool and with it. They did seem to laugh more and have more fun though. We saw such an array of boots!!!! To the thigh-high white ones, platform ones, brown pointy ones, suede eskimo style ones..... you get the picture - it was really good entertainment!!

The next day, we went to Harajuku, as Nick told us that every Sunday there are people  who dress up and walk around the park. So off we went, and sure enough there were hundreds of people all dressed up - usually as Goths or old-fashioned, Queen Victorian maids. It was amazing the amount of time and effort that had gone into making the costumes! It seemed like there must have been an art college nearby, but no, this was just a hobby and people of all ages were joining in. Some of the hairstyles and make-up were excellent and I could appreciate the creativity and talent of the wearer.

We walked around the park, and we stopped to watch a cordoned off area where mature guys were dressed in leather trousers, with denim jackets or PVC shirts or black vests/T-shirts and cool boots with duck tape on to prevent them getting ruined. They had a player and were dancing non-stop to American rock music, inc some Elvis. They must have been dancing for hours! They did some backflips, dropped to the ground, twirled around and were really enjoying themselves! It looked so great, and they had a large group of spectators at all times.

Moving around the park, we saw people playing drums, groups of children skipping, couples playing badminton, and a couple of very weird guys dressed in cardboard boxes! You could only see their arms and legs. There was a lake in the middle, some fountains, and actual grass. In Osaka it's more like straw, and you would never dream of sitting down on that. Here, there were loads and loads of trees, and at that time of year there were red, bronze, gold, copper and lots of other shades of leaves. It was a spectacular sight, the sun was out and the sky was blue. There was a slight crispness in the air that just made you feel alive.

Moving on, our next stop was Shinjuku - which has the busiest train station in Japan - and had lunch at an all-you-can-eat yakiniku (korean-style grilled meat). Then we moved along to see the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building. This was a very impressive building, and indeed all the surrounding government constructions were amazing. They were made of marble in the 'bubble' era of Japan and show off the extravagance of that time. From the top of that main building (which was free) you can see all across Tokyo - to Mt Fuji and back to Tokyo Tower. It's the largest city in the world and it's difficult not to be impressed by it. All the smaller buildings looked like lego blocks from that distance.

We walked aound the park that is next to the government edifices, and we saw such a sorry sight. It's homeless man's land. There was a shanty-town composed of blue tarp over cardboard boxes, a few straggly washing lines put up between two trees, a terrible smell, and bundles of branches and twigs. It's such a shame that there can be so much opulence and grandeur, and then the signs of poverty and mental illness are sticking out like sore thumbs but are ignored, forgotten and uncared about.

We made our way to a bar and had some drinks to catch up and chat for a while. Then we went home and got up the next day ready to see Roppongi hills. Roppongi is the main area for ex-pats, other foreigners and sleaze. It's the main red-light district and has loads of bars, hostess bars, clubs, and guys out on the street trying to get men to go into the stripclubs etc. I was a little behind as we had to walk in single file. It's so busy in Tokyo and there are always people no matter what time of day it is. Andy, Nick and Nathan were asked so many times, and the guys would walk with them, thrusting flyers in their faces. Luckily they are the three best guys a girl can be accompanied by, and they kept saying no. One guy was very persistent, so they all turned to me and said, "there's a lady with us". The guy admitted defeat and walked off.

Roppongi hills was good. It's a huge building - very stylish and quite an elegantly shaped building. There are designer shops in there, a "Tokyo city view" platform (but too expensive so we didn't go up there), a walkway through a Japanese style garden and other areas we didn't check out.

We got hungry, so found an Indian and went in. It was a lovely restaurant, reasonably-priced and the food was really delicious. After that, we went to a bar and had a couple of beers, then decided to find a nightclub that Andy had spotted in a brochure on Tokyo. We went to Ebisu station and it took us an hour and asking 5 people to find it!! Luckily, once we were inside it was really good. It was house/dance music and it had a big dancefloor with really cool lasers, a chillout area with red sofa seats for relaxing, and upstairs there was another bar with a DJ with more mainstream dance music. We had a great time and went home at 6am Tuesday morning!
 
Lunch that day was in a lovely little Italian restaurant down the road, where I had lasagna. It was absolutely gorgeous, in a very creamy tomato sauce with lots of cheese and some herbs. We got bread with it, and shared a margerita pizza between us, which was also very tasty. We had a beer and then returned to Nathan's to pick up our bags as it was time to head home.  So we grabbed all our stuff, walked to the station and got off at the next stop with 10 mins to spare to catch our reserved bullet train.

Great trip!

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

OMG, I LOVE TOKYO :D

  Henry Jan 18, 2009 4:40 AM

About soemmia


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.