Existing Member?

Spiritual, not religious. "A dream can be the highest point of a life." -Ben Okri

Miracles Happen.

INDIA | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I went to Nainital was on a school trip in class 11. We were a group of 12 girls, and we were to take an over-night trip on the highway from Delhi. It was 10:00 a.m and we were permitted to shop a little in Delhi. The reporting time was 6:00 pm, as we were leaving for Nainital that night. I already had a friend living in Delhi, who had suggested that we visit Sarojini Market. We took a metro ride to Sarojini and shopped a lot. We lost track of the time and by the time we reached the hotel room, it was well past 7:30 p.m. We knew we were in trouble as we entered and the teacher in-charge was -furious- waiting for our arrival. I had a packet of momos in my hand. We were in for trouble, for sure. But, I must mention the reason we were late: We ate more than 7 different dishes on our way back, and still had the entire packet of momos to finish! The others had just walked in and around the Hotel, but we had a gala time hopping between an auto ride, the metro ride, the ice cream parlor, the various tiny shops, the friendly guard at the Metro Station, the street food and so much more!
We boarded the bus at 9:00 pm after eating dinner. (Yes, we love eating). The highway had a beauty of its own, away from the bustling crowd of the city. Suddenly, here I was, with so many people yet feeling so lonely...and secretly I had started to enjoy my own company.
When I woke up, we were in Nainital already. Nainital is a popular hill station in the Indian state of Uttarakhand and head quarters of Nainital district in the Kumaon foothills of the outer Himalayas. I love the hills, I think there is this special charm about the hills that has the magical ability to transport you to a different world of peace and calm. It connects you to your inner self.
We were all sitting around the bon-fire: Some were talking among themselves, whereas some were busy clicking pictures. And me? Well, I was eagerly waiting for mid night. At a little distance, towards the edge, I saw a bark and was automatically drawn towards it. Sitting on the edge (quite, literally!) I had my moment of magic. Yes, it was so beautiful that words are just not sufficient.One mistake, and I will be gone forever. The sky was filled with a million twinkling stars, the tiny houses of the people below and myself standing at 6,837 ft above sea level. Summing it up in three words? -You. Just Can't.
Every new beginning, is some beginning's end.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About snehal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.