Existing Member?

The Great World Spins

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 29 February 2012 | Views [165] | Scholarship Entry

It was a surreal experience for me today stepping off the underground at my stop knowing that it would be the last time I walked out of that station. What seemed so foreign to me four months ago I now know intimately. Spinning in circles as the snow fell around me I try and take in what the train stop had meant to me. On late nights it was the signal I was almost home...and on about every other night it was the constant reminder that I still had a quarter mile to still walk. When I first saw the train station I imagined all the difficulties that awaited me in Germany. The station acted as a constant reminder of the amazing journey I was apart of, but it also reminded me of everything that I missed back at home. So as I spun in circles and the snow rushed upon me I caught a glimpse of what seemed to be a lone flower bud near the school by the train station. I examined the bud and saw that it had frozen over. The bud spurred the thought that this bud suffered from its inability to take the risk to become a flower and blossom during the waining months of fall. Instead it remained a bud because it refused to venture into the unknown. The bud reminded me that sometimes taking a risk is the only way the inner beauty can be revealed to the viewer. Supplanting myself reminded me what makes life special are those around you. It is not that I did not love my time abroad because I truly did. Instead it is just a much needed reminder, for myself at least, to never take those you call friends granted because they give color to the world.

Going to Hamburg for law school has been different and has opened my eyes to new experiences. It has opened my hearts to what is important. It releases a multitude of smiles. It sees tears fall fast and dry faster.

There are many amazing things about the world. The one that I have found to stand the test of time is that it is not so much where we stand but in what direction we are moving. Don’t be the bud be the blossom...take the risk.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About smspdx


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.